• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Compact camera with infrared remote

Pete Goodwin

I'm wondering if there are any camera buffs out there that could recommend me a compact camera with infrared remote capability. Went to jessops today and they were useless.

I have been using a Olympus MJU 400 for the last 5years but it has recently packed up.

Budget up to 200pound.

Thanks,

Pete.

I dont know about compacts. But if you want to go for a compact for space saving reasons, then what I'm about to say will be useless to you, but maybe will help someone else.

Canons budget DSLR 1000D has remote capability, and is a pretty good camera. I use it at work. And if you keep watching on evilBay then you can get them with the standard lens for about what you are looking to spend, if not a few pounds (£10-20) more.

Anyway, I don't look at compacts but I thought I'd chip in. :)

Apologies if you have already considered this and discounted it, but I use a camera with a customisable multi-shot timer. The problem with remotes is the need for a third hand to press the button while holding the fish, although some have mastered the art of pressing a button with a knee.

My camera can be set to take up to 10 shots about 2 seconds apart (longer if the flash has to recharge). If the fish makes an escape attempt, it doesn't matter, you just miss 2 or 3 shots while yuo control it. Once you think you've got a couple of decent takes, you can half turn or move the fish to one side for an alternative shot.

I have a 2nd-hand Canon S5 (a popular camera on here) which has a hinged display so you can frame the shot while in position and see what you are taking as you go along. The Canon G6 is similar with more features but a smaller zoom. Both compact cameras though but not too compact:rolleyes: You can pick them up on ebay for £100-£150. There are newer ones on the market with similar facilities but I'm not up-to-date with the latest models.
canon-s5-with-screen-out.jpg
3776273_125.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys I've decided to follow Andys advice and go for the S5. In fact I've just put a bid snipe on one on ebay ;)

Thanks,

Pete.

Nearly had a bad moment and actually thought of parting with my S5:mad:
But came to senses and brought a panny FZ38 for gen photos of wildlife etc
The S5 is far too good for fishing shots esp self takes at night on your own and takes quite nice video as well:D
An excellent choice Pete

Tight lines

Alan

Apologies if you have already considered this and discounted it, but I use a camera with a customisable multi-shot timer. The problem with remotes is the need for a third hand to press the button while holding the fish, although some have mastered the art of pressing a button with a knee.

My camera can be set to take up to 10 shots about 2 seconds apart (longer if the flash has to recharge). If the fish makes an escape attempt, it doesn't matter, you just miss 2 or 3 shots while yuo control it. Once you think you've got a couple of decent takes, you can half turn or move the fish to one side for an alternative shot.

I have a 2nd-hand Canon S5 (a popular camera on here) which has a hinged display so you can frame the shot while in position and see what you are taking as you go along. The Canon G6 is similar with more features but a smaller zoom. Both compact cameras though but not too compact:rolleyes: You can pick them up on ebay for £100-£150. There are newer ones on the market with similar facilities but I'm not up-to-date with the latest models.
canon-s5-with-screen-out.jpg
3776273_125.jpg

Are you saying that you can work the continuous shooting with the remote button on the G6?..... as I cant see how you can do this in the manual. It would be really handy though!

I've recently changed from a G6 and would recomend it to any angler as one of the best for self take. No, you cannot continuous shot via the remote but you can fire as many shots as you like, one after another.

you have 2 custom settings, I had one set for the normal speci shot of a fish held at about 6ft from the camera, the second setting was used for exactly the same but with the remote in use.

I changed to the SX1 IS Canon. One of the latest in the reverse screen series. Image stabilised and 20X optical zoom. 10meg pictures but the 7meg of the G6 is enough.

Cost £300 on ebay.

Are you saying that you can work the continuous shooting with the remote button on the G6?..... as I cant see how you can do this in the manual. It would be really handy though!

Chris,

I think Andy meant that on the camera he uses (NOT the G6) he sets it for multi shots in self timer, as he finds that easier than remote handling. It will waste a lot of shots...but what the hell with a digital, you are bound to get some good shots, and delete the rest :D

Chris,

I think Andy meant that on the camera he uses (NOT the G6) he sets it for multi shots in self timer, as he finds that easier than remote handling. It will waste a lot of shots...but what the hell with a digital, you are bound to get some good shots, and delete the rest :D

Yes, sounds like a really good idea to me. Wish I could do that with my G6. Or use an old fashioned bulb release.:cool:

I use an old fashioned bulb release kit with my G5. The kit was picked up by my missus from an advert in Anglers Mail about a year back and combined with the flip around screen self takes are a dooddle now.

get an infra red remote off ebay for your g5.......4.00 quid.

Chris,

That's how I do my shots, get everything ready and it's very easy and you always get several good photo's you want to keep.

Chris,

Thanks, David, that's exactly what I meant. Before I bought my S5 I read a few threads and some people found it difficult to use a remote while handling a lively fish. Others managed to press the button with their knee, but I find the multi-take timer works for me. Having said that, a remote for the timer would be useful but the S5 doesn't have one, and Chris implied that you can't do that with the G6 either.

I use a Canon G6 with infra-red remote. I have it set to a 10 sec delay on the remote so I have plenty of time to set the timer running, bend down, pick up the fish and pose.

The S5 also has a ten sec timer delay and if you set the timer to custom you can set for an even longer delay and to take up to 10 consecutive shots (advanced manual) :D Simples
This gives anyone plenty of time to look into the reversed flip screen and frame the picture to ensure a great self take.
Also if you set your programme at home using a prop to simulate the situation ie in your garden at night camera set up on a bankstick correct height in focus flash set etc then when in a live situation you can simply select the saved setting when ready.:)
Hope this helps

Alan

Chris, yes the kit on the link you have put up looks very much like the one i use. Nothing new or clever about it but does the job well enough and no timing delays by operating the bulb with a knee.

Hi guys well after owning my S5 now for a couple of weeks I've got to say I'm really pleased with it even though I've not used it in anger with fishy shots, pics that I have taken really do look good.

So just a quick thank you for the recommendation.

Just one thing, can anyone recommend a decent camera bag for the S5. As most of the ones on amazon I was looking at the reviews said they weren't suitable for the s5 due to it's size.

Thanks,

Pete.

camera bag

Pete,
Got mine from jessups for around £15, has 2 string style side pockets on the side good zips and a divider inside. Fully waterproof with a good shoulder strap.

tight lines

Alan

Back