• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Commercials

Michael Weir

The state of this Barbel in a puddle. Should be illegal!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1667243610822.jpg
    FB_IMG_1667243610822.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 203
We have a little lake near us that’s got afew in. It’s not right to stock em in these silty still waters with the puddle pigs
They deserve their preferred conditions

My lad caught one in a Birmingham Park lake there's quite a few in there. Keepnets are banned and it looked in good order

Attachments

• 20210829_141611.jpg
    20210829_141611.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 92
These fish should be put into the rivers that have lost almost all their barbel, such as the loddon and kennet etc. If we are honest the rivers that produce regularly like the trent are artifical puddles themselves!!!! The fish stock are from the excess of Caverton fish farm, put back if not used to stock these lakes or a few lucky rivers. Even the Nene is another artificial environment; receiving a stocking of a few hunderd fish every year above Peterborough; creating what looks like a prefect bio mass, but created by these stockings.
The Severn, Hampshire Avon and Dorest Stour, the Wye and many other rivers were all created by stocking. We must stop deluding ourselves that we are fishing for natural stock; the fish we catch today are desendants, but orginally coming from stock from other rivers.
Some argue that stocking rivers isn't the way to go. I would like to believe them; but, in the present polluted, dieing rivers we have in many parts of the country; there is I am afriad no other way:mad::eek:

These fish should be put into the rivers that have lost almost all their barbel, such as the loddon and kennet etc. If we are honest the rivers that produce regularly like the trent are artifical puddles themselves!!!! The fish stock are from the excess of Caverton fish farm, put back if not used to stock these lakes or a few lucky rivers. Even the Nene is another artificial environment; receiving a stocking of a few hunderd fish every year above Peterborough; creating what looks like a prefect bio mass, but created by these stockings.
The Severn, Hampshire Avon and Dorest Stour, the Wye and many other rivers were all created by stocking. We must stop deluding ourselves that we are fishing for natural stock; the fish we catch today are desendants, but orginally coming from stock from other rivers.
Some argue that stocking rivers isn't the way to go. I would like to believe them; but, in the present polluted, dieing rivers we have in many parts of the country; there is I am afriad no other way:mad::eek:
I think the issue is less about stocking barbel "as such" but more about where they are stocked.
Sadly, due to pollution, suitable rivers will have to have barbel introduced to keep numbers up. I don't have an issue with this, but do object to barbel being stocked in still waters. Its akin to putting a grayling in a pond. Daft.

Back