• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Comizo/Andalucian Barbel

Andreas Opitz

Hi,

Thinking about heading over to Spain with a mate for a week next May to catch some 'Comizo' Barbel and 'Andalucian' Barbel. Has anybody done this before and got any advice?

(Going for a week with a guide who provides all the gear (including boat and transport). Just need to take end tackle and buy bait over there).

I thought about going down the guided route but after talking to Mr Rocca on here decided against it, 4 of us travelled to the town of Merida in Extramadura and fished the Guardinia river, we ended the week with over 100 Barbel, I'm really glad we didn't have a guide now as it made the fish captures all the more sweeter. Not sure what advice I can offer that the guide can't.

I was in Spain this summer, without a rod. One day we tripped over to Cordoba. It was 43 degrees hot that day and we crossed this bridge over the river. The barbel were there, feeding avidly over the rocks in the shallower water. They seemed to be grazing on the algae. The river was alive!

Last edited:
Hope you dont mind me resizing the pic Chris!

ROMAN_1.jpg

Its got me thinking about my trip next spring now:)

Andreas, if you thought that picture looked impressive, you should see the veiw from the bridge looking downstream! Can't really appreciate it from this
17705494.jpg
, just a taster.

Thanks Chris and Mark. That photo looks pretty special to me...

We're thinking about heading over and meeting up with a guy called Peter who runs the site below...

we'll be fishing lagoons for Comizo Barbel and heading to the mountains by boat for Andalucian Barbel...

only draw back is it's going to cost a fair bit...hmmm

http://www.ruidera-adventure.com/fishing-trips/barbel.html

Save yourself some money Andreas and got it alone, much more rewarding fishing than sitting it out in prebaited swims:p;)

092.jpg

Just back from Spain today, didnt fish this time, Had to sort out a property I have just bought over there.

Peter Staggs has been out there for years and the barbel in the lagoons he fishes are huge. Its carp style tactics and you may wait a very long time for a bite but if you get one it will be awsome.
The Andalucian barbel are further south and not on the same system, that will be more like the barbel fishing over here.

I prefer to go it alone as Mark did and am not bothered about chasing the lagoon monsters, the Guadiana river itself does hold some huge barbel though, if you can find them.

There are some words about fishing in Extremadura, and some pics, on my blog if you have a butchers. Click below and just type extremadura in the search function.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your input and sharing your photos.

Its a tough one really as I tend agree with you all about going it alone and how it will be a much more rewarding experience. On the other hand, as first timers over there I feel the guided service might be of use for future solo trips...

Also, it can take a number of trips to learn a new area/river and yes that it is all part of the fun, but I know in the future I won't have the luxury of being able to do that (due to other inevitable financial commitments) Therefore this initial guided trip is an investment in a way for future trips, as well a trip I may not be able to do again for a while. Difficult one...

Andreas,

I went with Paul Brown (off this site) in 2008 to be guided by Peter Staggs. We caught comizo up to 30lb in our weeks' stay and also carp between 15lb to 20lb. We fished a few of the smaller lagoons for another species of barbel aswell and caught those up to 8lb or so.

It will be worthwhile PM'ing Paul as he also takes the pioneering approach shown by Tony & Mark

20lb comizo
_POR3138.jpg

30lb comizo for Wayne
_POR3144.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Kristian, good to know and two lovely ones there. You must have been chuffed...

I suppose all I really need to know is that you guys had a good time and it was worth the trip/money?

Andreas,

That was the first time I'd done any serious fishing with bite alarms and boilies, as I have never fished for carp in that way before. I usually stalk them in the margins or use floaters. So, yes it was exciting as each time the alarms sounded and line was ripped off the spools at a great rate of knots you never knew what you'd hooked or how big it would be. The comizo's in those lagoons can get very big indeed. Nothwithstanding the fishing, the scenery is amazing, with plenty of birdlife around the lakes.

Definitely worth a go, especially if you've never fished in this way before and Peter is a great host and very knowledgeable about the area.

Back