• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

combi rig braid

Gary Wagstaff

use 18lb korda supernatural to 15lb amensia to form combi rig have suffered a few loses with the braid braking at the hook when hooking a decent fish .
any suggestions use korda kurv shank hooks and i fish the ribble
thanks gaz

use 18lb korda supernatural to 15lb amensia to form combi rig have suffered a few loses with the braid braking at the hook when hooking a decent fish .
any suggestions use korda kurv shank hooks and i fish the ribble
thanks gaz

I dont take many prisoners, an upgrade 25lb Korda Supernatural and 2olb Amnesia should do it. Failing that Gary try twice through the hook, to avoid the acute angle.
Just one question Gary for you. Do you get the break after a multiple catch or does it happen on the first fish....??

Jon

Check the eye of the hook with a glass, I had a pack of swivels last season with a burr on the side of the eye from when the eye had been formed, it went through braid like a hot chainsaw through spray cheese.

what hooks is everybody using to create combi rig is it my hook pattern causing breakages at the eye
gaz

Hello Gaz, Try a different hook pattern on a second rod. I,ve started using the Pallatrax hooks and rate them very highly. If i can catch up with you on the Ribble, i,ll pass you a few. :)

I use 15lb Supanova with either ESP Raptor or Drennan Continental and never have breaks at the hook. Always start the wrap for the knotless hook AWAY from the 'open' side of the eye.

I dont take many prisoners, an upgrade 25lb Korda Supernatural and 2olb Amnesia should do it. Failing that Gary try twice through the hook, to avoid the acute angle.
Just one question Gary for you. Do you get the break after a multiple catch or does it happen on the first fish....??

Jon
Korda IQ2 Flurocarbon 12lb/0.35 20M un-opened £6

Korda Supernatural sinking braid 25lb 20M un-opened £7

Kryston Merlin Camou sinking braid 15lb 20M £6 box opened but unused.

For sale here https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/showthread.php?t=3879
:D

Cheers

Adie

Why use the combi rig to begin with ? Are you really convinced it captures more fish ? I have tried it and am not convinced but would like to hear your experiences.

Cliff, the reason being the river Gaz is fishing contains lots of bedrock and boulders so a high abrasion resistant hooklink is needed. 15lb Amnesia, or any tough 15lb mono will do the job but is far too stiff to use straight through to the hook. These Barbel are fished for regularly and will reject a bait if they feel the hooklink - hence the use of a supple end section to prevent this.

Sounds fair, I use Fluro most of the time which as you know is stiff but when switching to braid or combination rigs I just haven't seen any improvement. Good to hear when it bears results.

ive got some 20lb amensia the clear sort and it seem to come off with memory do u guys do anything to straighten it ? thanks Alan.

Just run the length over your your thigh, when sitting down, keeping it under tension. It works with the fluorocarbon I use. Just make sure your trousers aren't covered in zips!:D

Why use the combi rig to begin with ? Are you really convinced it captures more fish ? I have tried it and am not convinced but would like to hear your experiences.

been on tonight combi rig 4 barbel upstream rod 12lb fluro nil downstream but did lose 1 on it dreaded double hook up while playing fish no 2
thanks andy for the reply

Back