• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Colouring Balsa

Vincent Coulson

Hello,

Don't know if this fits here, but I have been making pole floats and have countless natural balsa ones. I have been using a super tough floor varnish to protect and seal. Works a treat. However, Im fed up of colourless ones and would like to know is there any way of colouring the balsa before varnishing to keep the grain of the wood as much as possible?

I know there are wood dyes but would this soak into the balsa too much and therefore take some of the shotting capacity off.

Oh, I have been sealing them prior to varnishing with sanding sealer....

Thanks a lot

I have successfully used food dyes prior to sealing the floats,if you leave them to thoroughly dry there is no problem.Don't think it would alter the shooting pattern ,but then again I don't use pole floats ,just Chubbers and sticks.

Dave

Try a spirit based stain - like Morrells which are available in lots of lightfast colours including green. Allow the stain to evaporate and coat with clear. Alternatively you can try coating with stain added - but you will need a number of coats.
Some colour examples of stained maple using Morrells spirit based stain below:

agit400.jpg

blgit400.jpg

Stain applied then lacquered using tinted coating.

With balsa you should be able to get away with just staining the wood and clear coating after the stain has dried - think the Morrells is alcohol based.

Bob

I use wood dye in all my floats I make and it does them no harm at the time of staining.
cane1.jpg

I use ronseal quick drying woodstain in antique pine and deep mahogany to get the effects above. then finish them off with a couple of coats of morrells waterbourne 10% sheen lacquer.
;)

Try marker pens or dry wipe pens.
An excelent sealer can be made from stiring in talcum powder in to a small measure of clear varnish.

Back