• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Colour Blind

Steve Holt

I'm badly colour blind but it seems some barbel are not. I was on a session recently & started using a dark green coated braid (so it said on the spool) anyway I only had enough on the spool for a couple of hooklengths.. The only coated braid I had left in my bag was a sand coloured variety. I was catching on the dark hooklength but as soon as I started using the sand hooklength the bites dried up. I had a half mile trek back to the van for another spool of the green & the bites started. Was it a coincidence? I'll find out this week

fish can switch on and off with different colour baits" iv found the barbel to pick out red maggots from the bronze!

So id say the colour on your hook link could make a difference to feeding on tricky days or wise fish :)

At the moment the filamentous algae is dying off and strands are lying on the gravel on my local river so dark green would possibly seem natural.

Back