• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Collingham weir pegs 1 to 10

Surely this forum should be about sharing information, as well as asking questions. I have been barbel fishing for the past 18 months and I have learned loads from this website but, even though my catches haven't been amazing, I have shared information about river temperature, the methods I've been using etc. I feel a little intimidated by the great fish that have been caught by others but that's going to change this year (I keep on telling myself!).
Come on Alex, tell us how you have got on after some of your questions. Did you catch from a boat? How did you get on at Cromwell weir?

Sorry Graham and Neil didn't mean to come across rude. iv no barbell under my belt yet so have nothing to report on really. my first trip was a blank and it was just for the day so I was not disheartened. never fished a water like the Trent before so there was a lot to learn from such a powerful water. im an all rounder really rather then targeting once poetical fish. will look forward to getting back on the Trent later this year hopefully with a bend in the rod. Ian my tactic was 2 rods both with feeders, 1 was fished with a fishmeal based ground bait with pellets and on the hair rig I used 2x12mm code red boilies and on the other rod I had a large maggot feeder. I kept changing hook bait every few hours just to see what would work and it was my first trip I was told by others what bait worked best but there was so many I had to narrow down to afew, ( maggots, meat & boilies. ) I was fishing peg 49 I believe would have been nicer to get a little closer to the weir but I think we came in the other end of the wooden gate. my other mate blanked ( first time like me ) and the 3rd mate had a few out but he is a very good fisherman and has fished for barbell many a times. went home after a very long day shatted but felt goo about the day even thou I didn't catch.

Last edited:
Sorry Graham and Neil didn't mean to come across rude. iv no barbell under my belt yet so have nothing to report on really. my first trip was a blank and it was just for the day so I was not disheartened. never fished a water like the Trent before so there was a lot to learn from such a powerful water. im an all rounder really rather then targeting once poetical fish. will look forward to getting back on the Trent later this year hopefully with a bend in the rod. Ian my tactic was 2 rods both with feeders, 1 was fished with a fishmeal based ground bait with pellets and on the hair rig I used 2x12mm code red boilies and on the other rod I had a large maggot feeder. I kept changing hook bait every few hours just to see what would work and it was my first trip I was told by others what bait worked best but there was so many I had to narrow down to afew, ( maggots, meat & boilies. ) I was fishing peg 49 I believe would have been nicer to get a little closer to the weir but I think we came in the other end of the wooden gate. my other mate blanked ( first time like me ) and the 3rd mate had a few out but he is a very good fisherman and has fished for barbell many a times. went home after a very long day shatted but felt goo about the day even thou I didn't catch.
Alex no problem I think it was just a misunderstanding.
Right so you are new to this Barbel fishing thing...Firstly who said there are no Barbel left in the Wensum? Apparently they are still there according to a local angler to you a certain John Bailey (no not that one!), but he gives an account in his local paper about actually sighting Barbel and loose feeding them and then actually fish for them, and in his account of his method he used (split shot pinched above the hook, ie straight through) and a Avon rod, not surprisingly the Barbel broke him.
He went on to ask if the Barbel had blown the Red Robin bait, and if the Barbel had recovered mentally from this trauma!! The bloke is a bit odd to say the least, or maybe just really a Chub angler which I think maybe the case.
So this account was 2018, last summer, these fish were discovered through just stalking, no tackle just walking the banks, now to me that is like or my Christmases coming at once, you have a beautiful River on your door step, with some barbel, and catching just one would far exceed any amount you might catch on the Trent. Welcome to Barbel fishing 2019, it is what it is, I hope this inspires you to keep going, and if you have to , do it alone.

Alex no problem I think it was just a misunderstanding.
Right so you are new to this Barbel fishing thing...Firstly who said there are no Barbel left in the Wensum? Apparently they are still there according to a local angler to you a certain John Bailey (no not that one!), but he gives an account in his local paper about actually sighting Barbel and loose feeding them and then actually fish for them, and in his account of his method he used (split shot pinched above the hook, ie straight through) and a Avon rod, not surprisingly the Barbel broke him.
He went on to ask if the Barbel had blown the Red Robin bait, and if the Barbel had recovered mentally from this trauma!! The bloke is a bit odd to say the least, or maybe just really a Chub angler which I think maybe the case.
So this account was 2018, last summer, these fish were discovered through just stalking, no tackle just walking the banks, now to me that is like or my Christmases coming at once, you have a beautiful River on your door step, with some barbel, and catching just one would far exceed any amount you might catch on the Trent. Welcome to Barbel fishing 2019, it is what it is, I hope this inspires you to keep going, and if you have to , do it alone.

Thanks Neil yes I do remember reading it in the anglers mail. don't get me wrong there are Barbel in the Wensum im sure, but what john bailey don't relies is that Jo public like me cant just go and fish any part of the Wensum let alone just walk along the rivers edge looking for unsuspected fish. as much as id love to do this a lot of the Wensum now is privately owned by clubs or just that land owners don't want people walking on there land. which I can understand. il be back up the Trent again later this year. I did driver over the bridge near Kelham if iv got it right. there is a pub called the fox Inn on one side of the road. looked like a nice stretch of water there. iv also been told hazelford is another good place too. thank you again for your comments I am most grateful.

Hi Alex

Yes, you can fish at Kelham click here

Whatever you've been told you cannot fish at Hazelford! but you can fish the adjoining downstream stretch at Fiskerton on a day ticket obtainable from Fiskerton Post Office (next to the Bromley pub), this stretch is "managed" by the Association of Barbel Fishers. You can only fish during the day though, whilst the ABF can also night fish.

Back