• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Collingham weir pegs 1 to 10

Alex Chalmers-Wilkes

Hi All I was just wandering if anyone has booked the weir pool swims ( 1 to 10 I believe ) when the season starts again. I hear that these pegs can only be booked as a whole. I would like to fish the weir pool end but without block booking these I don't think id get much chance of getting near them. iv been told they are booked solid till November
if anyone has booked these pegs and have a couple of pegs free that they would be willing to charge out please let me know. weekend or later part of the week would be best but im not fussy either way.
Many thanks
Alex.

P.S I hope im not being rude by asking but im sure not every angler books 10 pegs and users them all.

The problem you will have is that anyone who has booked the weir also want to fish the weirpool... you have to book the 10 pegs but everyone just wants the first 3

Hi Terry, I would be happy to fish peg 10 if that's what was left. as it is still close enough to the weir. I know everyone wants the weir pool but it seems a shame to have the other 7 pegs sitting there not being used. if pegs 1-3 are all that people want.

Tell me this is a wind up.....you have to book the whole shebang just to fish the weir pool?
And booked solid for the first 6 months of the season, crazy.:rolleyes:

Hi Terry, I would be happy to fish peg 10 if that's what was left. as it is still close enough to the weir. I know everyone wants the weir pool but it seems a shame to have the other 7 pegs sitting there not being used. if pegs 1-3 are all that people want.
Although the weir can be incredibly prolific it's worth bearing in mind that in normal/summer levels the fish are very localised and are right up in the weir. Even swims 3 or 4 below the weir can be very slow during the day and it's only well into dark that the fish may start to drop down out the weir.

Some weir pools are free fishing and are full of fish at the start of the season, you just have to use you eyes ,ears and legs.....

thanks chaps. just though id put the feelers out there to see what the crack was. I do believe that having to book the whole 10 pegs just to fish the weir pool is unfair but I suppose they the club are guaranteed £100 every 24 hours. every day till end of season.

Don't criticise unless you've tried it. I am privy to some pretty remote stretches of the Hampshire Avon which cannot be beaten for scenery & wildlife.
As Terry say's above, treat it as fun, you don't have to be a great angler to catch fish from there. I booked it for 48 hours last year with 3 mates for a social get together. I didn't fish the weir but was happy to fish below in pegs 3/4 and made the most of the twilight hours. It is a little frustrating watching the guys in 1 & 1a catch all day long but the fish move out late afternoon (5pm onwards in August) I caught just as many as the top 2 guys overall but had to keep awake throughout the night. No chance of sleeping with the rods in the water with a total of 46 fish and 12 doubles up to 13.6.....
In my opinion good value for money at £50 a head for 48 hours and a great craic was had throughout the day.
I will be back this coming August for the same but will restrict it to just the 4 of us again. I'm sure you will get some offers from some Alex wishingh to recoup a little cash. If not, just turn up and fish throughout the night in one of the lower pegs for a tenner. you won't be disappointed but great scenery and surrounding it ain't
I wouldn't fish it every week but as a social once or twice a year its spot on!

I was invited last year for a 24 hour fish in with 3 like minded individuals. It was my first time there in around 10 years. To say its fished all the time, well it's not apparent at all. In comparison to when I went all those years ago and it was a free for all, now it's an absolute pleasure.

I know last summer was exceptional with low oxygen levels etc but I fished a club stretch lower down stream and every single time I fished it I saw between 3 and 8 fish go by belly up thats daytime god knows how many went by at night !!!! I have come to the conclusion that people dont rest the fish long enough and even very experienced long time barbel anglers get complacent
so sad to see and when you hear about people catching Barbel into 3 figure amounts it does make you wonder

That's easily the saddest thing I've ever read on here that, Gerry. I don't think I'd go back if i had to see that awful spectacle. You would have seen more dead barbel maybe than I would see alive in two or three seasons combined ...

So anyway Alex, how's the barbel fishing been going in the 4 years since you started enquiring about it on here? Seen lots of questions but no reports from you.

Last edited:
thanks john your very right in what you said. it just seems a waste to have a few swims empty if all people want to do is fish pegs 1-3 im happy to book at the whole ten pegs but its hard to get people to commit to paying for it. and with the weir pool pegs being fully booked till end of year I though my best chance of getting near to the weir is to ask and see if I could fish an empty swim. im not in any great rush to fish the weir pool just though it would be nice to fish it maybe once.

Graham Shaw, I might have been one here a while but I'm not regular Barbel fisherman. unfortunately all the Barbel have gone from my closest river the Wensum. and the best change of catching or hearing about a lot of fish being caught is from the Trent. I went last year and will be going again this year, but I am not one for telling what iv caught there is enough anglers on here doing that. I just like to find out information and ask peoples advice on things.

As far as I am concerned the beauty of this place is seeing what members have caught. If you ask for advice and locations surely a bit of feedback would be good as to how you got on?
Personally I think you might be on a bit of a wind up.

Back