• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cold Water Barbel

Had 4 Barbel in roughly an hour this afternoon, almost exactly where Speersy caught that one. Freezing cold, hailstorm, only went on the lead because the wind was so adverse I couldn't floatfish any longer, I couldn't feel my fingers any more. Halibut pellets, 4mm in the feeder, 8mm on the size 12 hook. Could no doubt have got more but the wind dropped and I went back on the float, for the Roach.
1 degree when I got back to the car

Some really interesting and thought provoking replies so far giving me optimism for the last few weeks of the season.

Thanks lads ;)

I have finally realised its a waste of time fishing for Roach there Paul. I think most of them went down the cormorants necks 3 years ago, the close season after Keith passed. Do you remember those big Roach boiling like trout in those two swims.This was me up there before Christmas trying to avoid the barbel, and catch Roach, IMG_1162.JPGIMG_1158.JPGit did not work

Hopefully there will be some more big Roach in the near future. Fished a nearby swim a few weeks ago and had virtually one a chuck up to about a pound and some very big Dace, only hooked one Barbel all day.
Got 9 after dark on the pellet, best 9 1/2lb.
I'll PM you later about something interesting I saw Sunday.

Back