• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cold Water Barbel

Keith Humphreys

Senior Member & Supporter
Today I had a Hants Avon Barbel despite very cold, and dropping air and river temperatures which of course was a great result for which I am absolutely chuffed as this season the Avon has been a real struggle.

If I'm honest, due to the conditions I was set up for Chub using Maggot Feeder with a size 16 hook baited with two Maggots so was lucky that the water temp kept the fight brief:eek:

Has anyone had Barbel in seemingly impossible conditions, and if so what was the water temp and winning method and bait?

Keith i've also caught Barbel when Chub fishing on the maggot feeder tactics when the water temp was rising from as low as 40 F. Seem when you get a long cold period Barbel still feed occasionally.

Darrel Hughes.

Had a Barbel of around 7lb between snow showers on the Bristol Avon more than a few years back. Had a bite next cast too which I missed...paste was the bait I think.

I have also had Barbel on the feeder in 39f but I think what surprised me about todays catch was that the temp trend is very much on a downward spiral and has dropped 50% (10c down to 5c) over the last 5 days:eek:

Hi Keith,

well done on the capture!

Before considering your question, were the chub feeding/responding to feeder maggot on that set up? I ask because I have the opportunity to fish over the next couple of days?

An interesting post/Question. As I'm sure everyone knows the traditional advice is don't bother fishing for Barbel if the river water is cold (especially dropping). The magic number quoted was/is 9c = 48f (for southern rivers).

This is not an absolute but merely a guide. I always felt that if the water temp was rising after a protracted cold spell even if below the magic number you're in with a chance. And conversely if it was well below that number and dropping (as in the case you quote) you were very unlikely to catch.

I have never caught Barbel in cold water conditions and certainly not in the conditions we've had over this recent freeze (ground frosts, dropping water temps and northerly winds).

Well done, regards

Greg

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I caught a 4lber at Holte Fleet on meat many years ago. There was snow on the ground and snow melt had coloured the river. It was the clubs fur and feather and helped me win the contest.I have a photo somewhere showing me wearing a a very fetching ex-army tank suit that was lovely and warm but impossibly bulky to walk anywhere in, warm weather has gear is certainly more practical now!
Regards,
G.T.

Nice fish Keith but surely not from the Hants Avon with water at 10c 5 days ago.
The Avon was 7C 5 days ago and hasn't been 10C since December.
It's generally the maggot that will tempt a barbel in such conditions.
The coldest water I've caught in recently was 42.5 f but that was on a slight increase and on a big bait.
The Avon temp did reach 9.5C 13 days ago but was very short lived either side of that....

http://www.knappmill.co.uk/id2.html

Chub or bust at the moment down here, same for next week.

Last edited:
KeithS had this one when it was a tad cold

S8300312.jpg

Nice fish Keith but surely not from the Hants Avon with water at 10c 5 days ago.
The Avon was 7C 5 days ago and hasn't been 10C since December.
It's generally the maggot that will tempt a barbel in such conditions.
The coldest water I've caught in recently was 42.5 f but that was on a slight increase and on a big bait.
The Avon temp did reach 9.5C 13 days ago but was very short lived either side of that....

http://www.knappmill.co.uk/id2.html
Ok John, fair cop 9.5c on Knapp Mill 6 days prior to the post, I will try to be more exact next time:oops::oops::(:(:)

In the past i would have said that it was a waste of time fishing for barbel below 40 degrees, its far better targeting other species. But experiences in the last 4 years have changed my mind.Barbel will feed in the coldest weather, if you can find where they are holed up and can get a bait close to their mouths they will feed.They feed better before light and after dark when the weather is bitter but can be tempted during the day with small baits on their noses.Barbel are not mobile like chub,roach and other species so are a lot more difficult to catch in winter in big river systems for that reason its almost impossible to get a bait that close in a section 2 miles long and swim 30yds wide .On smaller rivers you can place baits,so are much more likely to be close but they will probably still be far under cover.The Method feeder and small hookbait works well in very cold weather.RIP Keith my lucky charm

S8300312.jpg

Spot on Mark Swaby.
I have also found they they will often be located in very steady slow swims where they do not have use much effort to be stationary. Quite often, I have had a bait in the water for some time, gone to reel in and felt a barbel on the end. They sometimes pick up a bait and just sit there with it without moving off.....
Fish on

Nice to meet you today Keith.
Well done on your frozen barbel.

I did manage 3 doubles on the Loddon one evening when the rod rings were solid with ice. But I don't think the water was much less than 6.

Back