• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Code for Theft of Fishing Rights

Neil Depledge

Non AT members may not have heard this, yet another reason why you should join up.

IMPORTANT: Code for Theft of Fishing Rights: 116/11

Fishing without permission is a Schedule 1 Theft Act 1968, and therefore criminal, offence. It is not the Environment Agency's (EA) responsibility to deal with this but that of the police. Understandably, this is not an area of law in which police officers are generally trained, so the Angling Trust are in the early stages of liaising with all 43 forces to educate officers regarding their responsibility. To date, we have concentrated, due to VBS and Operation CLAMPDOWN 2 (OCD2), on forces in SE England, all of which are engaged on joint VBS/EA/police patrols in that region and in support of OCD2. Indeed, a Hampshire Police officer recently checked, purely coincidentally, one of our Area Coordinator's licenses; this was very encouraging, but unfortunately the police's overall understanding remains inconsistent. In an effort to resolve this, last year the Angling Trust uploaded the 'Elementary Guide to Angling Law & Fisheries Enforcement' to the Police Online Knowledge Area (POLKA) - making this simply guide available to every police officer in England. This, however, relies upon an officer searching that database for information, so the upload is not a cure-all. We now, however, have one - and hence why we need your help.

Every offence which the police are duty bound to deal with has a unique Home Office Code. We now have the Code for Theft of Fishing Rights: 116/11. If, therefore, anglers quote this when reporting incidents, the police will understand that they must deal with the matter, rather than misinterpret the situation as a civil matter and/or pass the job off to the EA. Provision of the Code will mean that from the initial stage the call taker will understand that this is a police matter, and police officers responding can check the relevant instructions.

Finally, and in addition to the good news above, we have had a recent result with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). One of our fishery owner members was the victim in such a case of Fishing without permission, which the police duly processed, but at court the CPS lawyer completely misunderstood the Theft of Fishing Rights offence and discontinued those proceedings. Acting upon our advice, said member complained to the CPS. Gerry Wareham, the Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor, recently acknowledged the error, apologised, and instructed all CPS lawyers to proceed with such cases - and if in doubt liaise with Andrew Vaughan, the Lead Prosecutor. This really is a major step forward.

Dilip Sarkar MBE
Fisheries Enforcement Manager
Angling Trust

I have been enforcing this for some weeks, it’s some of the best legislation in years for combatting fish thieves. We should all be thankful for Dilip in taking on the project. As I tell those I catch they will end up with a criminal record when found guilty. In Lancashire the police are really on the ball. In one instance I called the EA out, they couldn’t attend as the only bailiff was involved in another job. I called the police within ten minutes I had 4 police officers on the scene followed later by a police dog team. This time it wasn’t salmon but scrap metal the police had been after this gang for several months.

Wonder how this applies to dual bank fishing where the fishing rights extend from the near bank to the halfway mark - if you find someone opposite the peg you fancy, chucking over into your water could you call the police and have them removed/charged? If that's the case I predict a major spike in crime in certain areas once word gets out! :)

Used it last night with an unknowing bailiff., on four twenty something carp anglers who shouldn't be fishing. Bailliff says it's the best thing since sliced bread and makes turfing off unwanted anglers a hell of a lot easier.

Last edited:
last year the Angling Trust uploaded the 'Elementary Guide to Angling Law & Fisheries Enforcement' to the Police Online Knowledge Area (POLKA)

POLKA: The polka is a Central European dance...

How very apt :) as some anglers from these parts (and others I hasten to add) have been leading the EA a merry dance for far too long. You couldn't have made it up if you'd tried!

Polka, Isn't that what city fans stole because they cannot do anything original...lol

POLKA = Police Online Knowledge Area, a great source of law and policy. Best advice to anglers is to challenge politely without putting self in danger, if there is any risk or you are not happy, be a good safe witness. Try and recall exact location, description and vehicle details, if calling police give them an easy meeting point.

Back