• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Coated braid stripping tool?

Chris Jones

What's recommended and what's not? I'll be buying blind so would appreciate the nod as to what's good and what's not.

The three I've found so far are Nash, Korda and Gardner.

Thanks in advance.

Fingernails/ teeth, works for me.

A mate of mine had a Korda one and managed to strip some of the braid as well as the coating!

I have the Nash one and it's spot on. They probably all are really. It has 3 slots for different diameters and gives a nice clean cut.

But now I've gone back to mono hooklinks I never use it :rolleyes:

Tom,
can't do the teeth thing. My teeth wear and chip too easily and the time of free dentistry is coming to an end.

Neil,
it's not really for use when barbelling tbh, I just knew that some folks on here would be using coated braid.

Last edited:
Whatever you choose have a good practice with it first and inspect the cut area carefully with a glass. You are looking for damaged or cut fibres on the inner core, in my experience it is very difficult to strip braid with a tool without damaging it. I personally use a thumb nail.

Swiss army knife The Climber has a hole in the reamer which just the job for stripping, it also has a multitude of other uses to the angler.
Thumb nail also works quite well

im ok with stripping it back with my nails but i have to use a knife to take it off.
how far back (whilst were on) do you (all) take it back. i go about an inch from the hook & the (hooklegnth) loop

lost a cracking grassy a few years back to the knot slipping on striptease, tested a few knots afterwards and found them all to slip before braking (grinner knot)...haven't used any coated braids much since, always used to use teeth though...might try it again but just loop it.

I have recently bought the Korda Pulla.

290x218.jpg

http://www.korda.co.uk/products/view.php?id=106

I find the majority of grinner knots slip and tighten when given a decent pull.

Naturally, I cut the tag of thereafter! If you do it before pulling hard, the knot is likely to come undone.

I find the grinner knot leaves a curly pig tail above the knot on mono, especially with lighter lines. Above the hook this is pretty bad for bait presentation. I am returning to the tucked half-blood for lighter monos.

Stephen

My teeth seem to do the trick, although have heard some horror stories with anglers teeth being worn down biting line etc.

As for knots, the palomar has never let me down, or rather my angling ability has let me down well before the knot has!

Back