• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Coated Braid Hooklinks.

In my view , unless you are trying to catch spooky fish in very clear conditions using this , or any other fancy hook length, is not really required , simple is best with barbel , they aren't exactly hard to catch once you have found them , indeed finding them is the hardest bit :D

Some say wise words , I say it's narrow minded . "Simple" doesn't always stand up to rocks ....

Some say wise words , I say it's narrow minded . "Simple" doesn't always stand up to rocks ....

Berkeley big Game does Stuart :D As for narrow minded , that's a little harsh it's only fishing when all is said and done . I just think that the less complicated a set up is , the less likely something will go wrong , all that pairing back coatings and messing about it seems to be more likely to compromise the rig than make it more efficient ,but each to there own, just an opinion ....

As usual, I agree in many ways with your thoughts Mike. However, I would make the point that unless you are fishing water which is clear and/or shallow enough to see the fish, then the only way you will ever know if you've 'found' them or not....is if you catch one. That being so, you will never actually be certain whether or not you would have caught sooner, or more than you did, or suffered less blanks, if you had used the new fangled stuff :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

As usual the old sage speaks wisely , if we could sort that conundrum David it would take all the fun out of it :D

Thanks for your replies and thoughts guys quite a bit to go at there.

Looking at the Gardner Speciskin though it looks to thin to be able to use for different rigs, its to thin to make a combi rig with, maybe its just a good sinking braid....

It looks like the Sufix Stealthskin is no longer available seems to be sheathskin or Camfusion.

Those sufix coated braids are quite a bit cheaper than Korda or Fox for example.

only one line totally bomb proof on flinty bottoms or rocks and thats amnesia line, been telling em for years, it dont get more abrasion proof and ts cheap as chips

Drennan ESP Two Tone Stripteaze in both green and gravel brown; tried lots of coated braids over the years and this is far and away my fav. Doesn't coil, lies straight, great colours, fine diameter and I like the way the coating behaves.

Back