• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

coarse angling today

We're a difficult lot to please, but I think cat got it about right on it's release. I remember turning the pages only to find yet another article instead of the obligatory adverts, which was refreshing. Also, it filled the barbel niche which had been missing from other mags at the time.
As I previously mentioned, a magazine is only as good as its contributors and I think that some of them inevitably ran out of steam, or perhaps I had just read too many mags for too many years . In fairness , a fishing mag has also got to appeal to younger or less experienced anglers , not just old f#rts like me.
I agree with a previous post reg the hit and miss distribution , that can't have helped, anyway thanks to the writers and team for giving me an enjoyable read for the first few years.

Someone in the magazine world once told me , whatever the subject after about 12-18months of issues repetition begins to raise its head ...there is only so much one can say...

Someone in the magazine world once told me , whatever the subject after about 12-18months of issues repetition begins to raise its head ...there is only so much one can say...

Angling Times didn't suffer from this, mainly because of the great articles that were written by great Anglers. Something that sparked many a boy's interest in this past time of ours. Now it's all to do with revenue stream from Tackle Companies, and big pictures instead of the written word. It's as though they have to appeal to group that has the attention span of a Goldfish. :rolleyes:

Mike Hodgkiss clear some of your messages as im trying to contact you ref some old cat mags.

Jon

Talking magazines, I've been thoroughly enjoying this new one, very happy with my subscription - first Angling magazine I've read regularly since Angling times in the 80s! Full of thoughtful essays on all aspects of angling some great contributing writers: Fallons Angler

Magazines

Thanks for the link Mike. It would seem that this magazine could warm the cockles on a winters evening......:D
Regards,
Graham.

Angling Times didn't suffer from this, mainly because of the great articles that were written by great Anglers. Something that sparked many a boy's interest in this past time of ours. Now it's all to do with revenue stream from Tackle Companies, and big pictures instead of the written word. It's as though they have to appeal to group that has the attention span of a Goldfish. :rolleyes:

Bob, Bob, Bob:)

Stephen

Glad you like the look of the link Graham and Mark, I thought it'd be right the street of the folks here!

Hi men ,

Perhaps i was a bit harsh in my coments on CAT , but I get carpworld each month , and its head and shoulders above anything on the market , I know its for a bigger market drawing on advertising , but saying that its well layed out and worth the money which is something i cant say about most mags .

Hatter

Hi men ,

Perhaps i was a bit harsh in my coments on CAT , but I get carpworld each month , and its head and shoulders above anything on the market , I know its for a bigger market drawing on advertising , but saying that its well layed out and worth the money which is something i cant say about most mags .

Hatter

With you on that one Hatter.

Cheers, Dave.

CAT may have been better if it had been quarterly instead of monthly but I don't know if that would be feasible. As others have said most of us are capable of writing articles but do we want to compromise our own hard earned fishing spots?
The trouble with some of the product placement was it's ham fisted clumsiness in some articles. I stopped buying after reading an article on Tench fishing, not sure who by, and every other word was Nash, even down to the Nash baiting needle for heavens sake :mad: I not only vowed never to buy the magazine again, I also made a mental note to never buy any more Nash gear, no matter how good it was!

Sheffields Angling Star was a well put together paper , that covered many styles of fishing without the gung ho look at me product placement of many publications nowadays.

Talking magazines, I've been thoroughly enjoying this new one, very happy with my subscription - first Angling magazine I've read regularly since Angling times in the 80s! Full of thoughtful essays on all aspects of angling some great contributing writers: Fallons Angler

Thanks for that, excellent reading.

The fallons magazine looks right up my street. Does anyone know how the subscription works? i.e. does one years full subscription starting from issue 1 mean I get issues 1-4 straight away? (or is it 1 then 5,6,7)?

Oh well, There's always carp talk, carp world, card Technics, carp whatever..:mad::mad:

Ian, it looks like you can start your subscription from any number you want(at the moment),so start at 1,2,3 or 4 and go on from there,i hope so anyway.Mike, i think you should get commission on all the mags your post has sold.

Back