• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Coarse Angling Today Mag

Dan Birkett

Anyone seen it recently/got any news? I've not had a copy for a few months now even though I subscribed.......:eek:

its still the best mag on the market for river fishing and barbel in particular, i have it on subscription but it can be hard to find in the shops in some areas.

For those hip daddyo's out there, you can also download it to your smart phone as an app, so you can sit and read it in the office ;)

What date did it come out this month ? my local newsagent who gets it for me has not had it in yet despite constantly trying for me.

Some of the very early editions on sale on ebay at the moment, when the mag was at it's very best - plenty of interest to the barbel angler in almost every issue. Contributions from some of the best specimen hunters of our time - and a fair few BFW members too! :)

Perhaps the posties started nicking them on their rounds because Smiths aren't putting them on the shelves any more....and that's where they used to nick 'em from :p

Cheers, Dave.

I did 30years in my newsagents shops and it was not unusual for some to have a quick shuffty and walk out.sad really.takes all sorts.
Albert::)

Some of the very early editions on sale on ebay at the moment, when the mag was at it's very best - plenty of interest to the barbel angler in almost every issue. Contributions from some of the best specimen hunters of our time - and a fair few BFW members too! :)

Only ones I'd bother reading TBH. Haven't regretted dropping my subscription one bit.

The demise of some of the mags is due to shop workers who have no idea about the business and poor rack display.i am forever picking publications off the floor in tesco and racking them.for superstores mags are not all that important.just a greedy I want to sell everything.these amateurs could not care less if you have the mags or not
Albert

Albert, I agree...however (at the risk of sounding like a silly old fart, and going WAY off thread) it must be said that though you and I may see things that way, and feel sad and frustrated at the passing of an age where such things (and much else) were considered important, this brash new world no longer agrees with us mate....and who is to say they are wrong? Things have always changed slowly, and each generation has mourned the passing of their era to some extent. What makes it worse for us is that the rate of change has speeded up, the differences now are far greater than previous generations needed to cope with. IMO, that acceleration of change feeds upon itself and the future is ever more difficult to imagine, certainly for older people. One can only hope that at some stage the things you and I consider to be catastrophic changes...will turn out to unimportant in the scheme of things, that everything will turn out fine in the end.

An overly optimistic view, perhaps? for the sake of our children and grandchildren, I hope not. Fingers crossed mate:D

Cheers, Dave.

you can bet supermarkets only sell magazines to take trade away from traditional newsagents , only been read CAT for 3 years and subscribed for 2 and while there are occasional things in it that I find annoying but still better than all the other fishing mags on the shelves

Only ones I'd bother reading TBH. Haven't regretted dropping my subscription one bit.

Agree....I found there was nothing new in there after a couple of years.

The best all round mag was, alas, very short lived. The Carp and Coarse Angler produced by Cemex was absolute top draw...

Ian

Agree....I found there was nothing new in there after a couple of years.

The best all round mag was, alas, very short lived. The Carp and Coarse Angler produced by Cemex was absolute top draw...

Ian

Have to agree with both of you with regards CAT. I stuck with it until about 2008, no doubt there has been a few good articles since then but it did get rather repetative.

Never really got into the Cemex mag, probably because most of it was based on southern waters, but i agree there was some good authors involved.

Back