• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Club Tickets.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
How many do you have ??

At the moment, I have three. A Burton Mutual, a Scunthorpe and a local club ticket that only has stillwaters on it. But as of next season I may be adding to that with another one. I may drop the Scunthorpe and the local ticket to make just the two though. I've hardly used the Scunny ticket and I've not been on our local club waters at all this season. I've been a member of this club for a few years on and off, even serving on the committee for quite a while in my younger days, but I'm not sure I'll really fish it again.

BAA
SOUTH CERNEY
ISIS Cotswolds
W Avon Syndicate
Trent Syndicate
LOWER seven Club ticket.
CHRISTCHURCH A C
LEMINGTON SPA
ROSS AC.
HEREFORD A C

Will stop Lemington and Isis next Season

3 for me.
vauxhall, Biggleswade & Hitchin, Bedford AC

The first two of these have become slightly harder to get these past two years, with books selling out very quickly. Biggleswade have a system whereby current members have priority to re-join, which I think is a good idea. Vauxhall don’t make any provision for this so it’s a case of hitting the website or Tackle shop as soon as the books are released. Bedford AC, being a river only club haven’t had quite the same uptick in demand for their books as the other two, though they have sold more books than normal. I’m guessing that most of the lockdown newbies will want the instant success of the commercials, or at least as near to it as you can get with a club or society, so that invariably means carp and still water.

I’m forever looking at which other clubs I could join and around Bedford I feel spoilt for choice. There’s Ampthill, Shefford, Blunham, Verulum, Olney & Clifton, Luton, Leighton Buzzard, Phoenix….. to name just a few, but with the three tickets giving me access to 16 lakes, and umpteen miles of the Great Ouse, Ivel, and a section of the canal, I figure I’m probably covered for most of my fishing needs.

That don’t stop me looking and lusting after fresh waters though.

Oh Simon, what a question ! Just had a count and I’m on seven. There’s at least one that will get the chop next year (I think 🤪)

Two stillwater tench/carp syndicates
Newark Pisc
Worksop
Burton Mutual
BAA
Local fly/trout syndicate

Haven't used the BAA, Worksop, or trout tickets this year. But will probably renew as on a given day I like having options.

5 for me.

BAA
KFAC
Derby Railway
Lower Sev Club
WA syndicate.

Might drop the last one though, not been this season, and a different bit of LS has caught my eye.

Two at present, Hereford AC and The Dream Ticket for winter access to some other Wye reaches. Looking for another Wye ticket near Ross and Monmouth then I will drop Hereford.

BAA
Tewkesbury
Hereford
South Cerney (winter only).
+1 Thames club
might get a winter ticket for the B Avon if it doesn’t rain !

2 Stillwater syndicates

Mostly Trent-based now:

Ashfield Angling (since 2004/5)
Newark Piscatorials
Notts Fed

Although, sadly, they will all be lapsing soon☹️ as the missus and I are in the throws of moving house (after 17 years here in Hinckley!) to Lancashire, in Huyton (for family reasons) during the next couple of weeks, and at 75 years of age (both of us) it will not be practical to undertake an average 125-mile (2.5-hour) each-way journey to continue to fish with my usual Trent day-trips (I don't do bivvies and overnights).🥱

On the plus side, however, after a bit of research, I plan to spend the next few seasons exploring totally new territory on the Ribble around the Preston area. I have also been in touch recently with a "local" BFW member who has loads of Ribble experience (and plenty of successes) who is going to provide his invaluable knowhow and to guide me on a brand new venue of a river that has a good head of barbel, but also has its own specific quirks and characteristics to get accustomed to! (Oh I do love a challenge!!)
And I hope he won't mind if I publicly acknowledge Gary Wagstaff for offering to impart his company and wealth of knowledge to this "Ribble virgin" when I eventually manage to get there👍👏

Naturally, I will still be logging-in as usual to keep up with the latest news, reviews and catch reports.

Roger

Only 1 at present, Pride of Derby ticket.

But I do go fish a day ticket on occasion for a bit of variety.

Looking at Notts piscatorial for next year and im also 1,4xx something on the list for Ashfield 😀

Mostly Trent-based now:

Ashfield Angling (since 2004/5)
Newark Piscatorials
Notts Fed

Although, sadly, they will all be lapsing soon☹️ as the missus and I are in the throws of moving house (after 17 years here in Hinckley!) to Lancashire, in Huyton (for family reasons) during the next couple of weeks, and at 75 years of age (both of us) it will not be practical to undertake an average 125-mile (2.5-hour) each-way journey to continue to fish with my usual Trent day-trips (I don't do bivvies and overnights).🥱

On the plus side, however, after a bit of research, I plan to spend the next few seasons exploring totally new territory on the Ribble around the Preston area. I have also been in touch recently with a "local" BFW member who has loads of Ribble experience (and plenty of successes) who is going to provide his invaluable knowhow and to guide me on a brand new venue of a river that has a good head of barbel, but also has its own specific quirks and characteristics to get accustomed to! (Oh I do love a challenge!!)
And I hope he won't mind if I publicly acknowledge Gary Wagstaff for offering to impart his company and wealth of knowledge to this "Ribble virgin" when I eventually manage to get there👍👏

Naturally, I will still be logging-in as usual to keep up with the latest news, reviews and catch reports.

Roger
Shame that you're having to give up Ashfield Angling but at least it means I'll be one place closer to getting a spot 😄

Currently just have the 2 memberships

Newark Piscatorial
Lincoln & District AA

Last edited:
Back