• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Clowns

Ian Hugo Arnott

I do not often fish day ticket waters but did today. Normally it is a peaceful and pleasant place to be and for two hours I had the water to myself and was enjoying catching reasonable perch then........

The Carp Boys arrived, they were going to fish overnight! They erected their bivvies, hammered in their rod rest assemblies, tested their wretched bite alarms, chucked out their 2 or 3oz 'rigs', standing bolt upright in white T shirts and hideous shorts, drinking Wifebeater and talking in some dialect resembling that hideous 'Eastenders' trash.

Fortunately the bailiff pointed me in the direction of a superb, quiet and almost unfished area.

Their cars were inevitably a ghastly BMW and some hideous Japanese alleged 4x4.

I was as ever in the Landrover and using cane and pin.

I regret that I cannot abide instant 'fishmongers'

Regards,

Hugo

Today I trotted for 3 hours caught perch dace loads of small chub plus what really made my day at least a dozen gudgeon absolute heaven. Oh and...........
Kill them!

I hear you there Hugo, I try to fish a beautiful day ticket lake in the spring but every time the experience is ruined for me by the same types you describe as above. What gets me is that with all their gear and magazine tactics, they don't seem to catch too many.......

earlier in the summer I was watching a carp ''angler''on a little local pond casting his bait to within 3 yards of the far bank . If he had walked round he could have just dropped it straight in , plonker .Same bloke had a camo bait bait with headlights , very amusingly a male swan attacked it one evening and nearly sank it , excellent to watch :D

Exactly the reason all my carp gear went in the classifieds and on to Evilbay, idiots, absolute idiots, they go to the tackle shop buy a load of gear and hey presto, they are carp anglers, I take great satisfaction in turning up at my local club waters with a stalker rod, bang a few out, then leave them to their bivvies, beer cans and radios,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and blanks.

Here we go again,another predictable anti carp rant.
Bad behavior is by no means exclusive to carp anglers.
You fellas need to join a well run syndicate,you will find a standard of behavior,ettiquete and particularly fish care that would put you self appointed experts to shame.
Phil.W

Many anglers fish for Carp, some are Carp anglers some are not, there are bad anglers in all branches of the sport. Why is there this them and us attitude in angling? it does us no good at all and while it exists anglers will never have a united front and surely we need that in this day and age?

Couldn't agree with you more Graham.
But as long as I have been associated with this site and its previous incarnation there has always been an anti carp bias from a few ill informed holier than than thou individuals.
Their attitude has always been barbel angler good,carp angler bad.
No room for facts in their point of view.
Phil.W

Hi Everyone,
Very well put Graham..
Theres places on the rivers where that sort of behaviour happens and they fish for Barbel..:eek:..
The point I am really making is, these people are not Anglers, and these people fish for all manor of species in most parts of the country..
So I do think its a bit unfair demonising someone because of what species of fish they choose to fish for..
To be fair ive never seen Barbel Anglers being given a bad name on Carp Forums...;)..

Couldn't agree with you more Graham.
But as long as I have been associated with this site and its previous incarnation there has always been an anti carp bias from a few ill informed holier than than thou individuals.
Their attitude has always been barbel angler good,carp angler bad.
No room for facts in their point of view.
Phil.W

Bit prickly there Phillip . My personal contribution to this thread was a simple amusing anecdote , no more . It is wrong to generalise , and has been said ,there are well and badly behaved anglers in all aspects of our sport . I don't fish for carp much but I know people that do and they are sensitive , thoughtful and well behaved anglers , that's one of the reasons why I associate with them . Re the little pond I mentioned in my post , there are a fair few carp in the water [ I fish for the tench ] but with very few exceptions the carp anglers I observe insist on casting and re casting at regular intervals as far as they can , chucking in huge amounts of bait . They do not actually look at the water , if they did they would notice that the carp are swimming around and feeding in the margins .
A chap at said pond once clumped round after watching me land a largish tench . When he arrived he laughed out loud at my cane rod saying that I would never in a million years be able to cast out far enough or land a carp in the pond which is full of lilies and was' lucky' to get the tench out . An hour later I quietly hailed him over to look at a 13lb carp I had landed fishing using a float , a hook and old centre pin and a cane rod ,in a little hole in the lilies bed 15 foot out from the bank , he had nothing to say ..

I am not been elitist about cane rods etc , they are great in some circumstances , and not up to the job in others . The point I am making is that many [ but not all ] of the carp anglers I observe clearly believe that if you cast far enough , using the most expensive gear , with the best alarm , the most palacial bivvy , and a lot of boilies then that is all you have to do to catch carp . There belief is self evident when you witness their noisy and unthinking behaviour towards their fellow anglers who haven't got the 'right' gear . As for syndicates , they are no guarantee of well managed fisheries and well behaved anglers , the one I was involved in certainly wasn't . There are good and bad elements in all aspects of life ....

well i have been on bfw for a fair old time now and i aint seen any disrespect towards carp anglers apart from some friendly banter, in fact theres quite a lot of guys on here who carp fish as well as barbel fishing,
i stopped carp fishing because of the antics of a few spoiling it for many and also becauseof the stroke pulling to keep the latest flavour of the month group in front of the rest of us, went back to me roots and barbel fished once more and found the solitude and peace on the banks when fishing, not all carp anglers are a nuisance in fact most aint but theres always a show off or two,
1st thing they ask is wots yer best fish so far, my answer is always the same
wot year followed by aint caught me best fish yet lol,
Hugo mate your losing your sense of humour :D:D, once upon a time you woulda found those antics funny:)

carp fishing back in the 50s/early 60s wasnt easy, not easy at all, the hardest task was finding what waters held them :eek::eek:

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)
fortunately i have never had that porblem Hugo but a few of my friends have through pressure of work and i dont envy you mate:) it caused one of em to indure an ulcerated leg to which the hole went clean through his calf ,
:)

Back