• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Closed Season Controversy

Roger Cramer

Senior Member & Supporter
I haven't bothered with either of the two weekly Angling Mags for some years now, but I just happened to pick a copy of the Angling Times yesterday, out of curiosity, and was immediately drawn to the key article discussing the "old chestnut" as to whether the existing Closed Season should either be maintained, scrapped altogether or moved to a more relevant time of year (taking into account the changing environmental conditions that now prevail).

Naturally, this thorny issue has raised its contentious head on numerous occasions in the past (my ageing memory is struggling recall if this Forum has already carried out a "straw poll" ) but upon reading the article, which reports that an "independent review group" has been examining relevant evidence with a view to releasing a study paper to be "shared with the nation's anglers, I have followed AT's suggestion to visit the magazine's web-site to place my vote for the future of the Closed Season.

My own view is that 'some form' of Closed Season (possibly at a different time of year) should definitely be maintained, if not purely for the protection of spawning fish, then most certainly to allow a few months respite for the bank-side flora and fauna (and fish, of course! ) from hordes of anglers that, regardless of well-intentioned, environmentally friendly rules and safeguards do still leave their "bootprints" throughout the rest of the year!

Whatever the eventual outcome, your vote may well affect your regular, weekly outings to the bankside for the future.

Roger

I've noticed that old mouthpiece Keith Arthur keeps putting his two penneth in about keeping the close season.. I'm guessing they don't have a close season in the Florida Keys;)

I don't see the problem with just keeping it...we have had it up to now and nobody's died, on many stretches of river over fishing is as much if not more to blame for the decrease in quality of the fishing as all the other issues combined, increasing the pressure by 25% annually is bound to have a negative effect.

I would be all for 'non-commercial' lakes, such as gravel pits and estate lakes, to re-introduce the closed season as well, it would be a good thing for the fish, bankside, and the quality of the fishing throughout the rest of the year. Whether it corresponds with their spawning or not matters little, the respite for the river and its inhabitants is so important. It would also give fishery managers a much needed window (particularly on heavily fished lakes) to get in and remove trailing lines and other detritus as well as perform bankside works etc etc.

The Angling Times "Survey" is totally flawed because you can submit as many votes as you like. What happened to "One Man One Vote"?

I'd move the close season to Dec, Jan, and Feb...then I wouldn't feel so guilty about not fishing so much during those months. :D

too many bad things happen on rivers when anglers are not there to spot them, whether that's pollution, poaching or fish theft.

Nothing stopping you going down in the close season, fish/feature spotting or with a fly rod. I fish rivers all year round.

Nothing stopping you going down in the close season, fish/feature spotting or with a fly rod. I fish rivers all year round.

Yup, I have learned so much about one particular river that I course fish, things that I never would have learned if it were not for wading it with a fly rod in the closed season, the fly fishing was never much good mind!

i walk my local river most days and the amount of people fishing it closed season is near on as many as when its open. ive pulled em but they just shrug their shoulders and plead innocent. ive rung the EA on many occasions and they just say they havent got a bailiff in the area but theyll get someone down asap. ive even rung the police and they dont give a f**k, just say its nowt to do with them

Wading about in rivers with a fly rod walking on the shallows that fish may use /have used for spawning will do more damage imo than getting rid of the closed season, we grumble about paddlers wading shallows , I don't see any difference.

The purpose of the closed season was redundant many years ago, others don't leave the rivers alone why should some anglers be the odd ones out?

There are plenty of areas to wade, Graham, that aren't spawning grounds. I think we can assume George, et al, observes the fact it's a good to avoid these areas.

There are plenty of areas to wade, Graham, that aren't spawning grounds. I think we can assume George, et al, observes the fact it's a good to avoid these areas.

I am sure that you are right Richard, the point I wanted to make but didn't very well was that even with course anglers off the bank others take their place on some rivers so the "rest" spoken of just doesn't exist

The reasoning behind a close season has never been explained by those that implement this law. Everyone seems to have an opinion but none seem to make any sense. I can see the need for rivers that are crucial for spawning, such as the Teme, but can see no reason why such venues as the Lower Severn to be included.
The close season was implemented many years ago by the game anglers to keep the coarse oiks off thier rivers, any amendment will never get past the Lords.

Wasn’t it also because at the time corse Angler’s actually took fish, this was having an impact on stocks so they stopped the practice to allow the fish to complete the breeding season.

I don’t actually mind the closed season. It’s good to have some down time, fish for different things and it looks good to the uneducated that this time is given to fish. I think I’d miss the anticipation of June 16th each year.

Not so long ago i was in favour of retaining the close season, now i'm not so sure, i suppose i'm now sitting on the fence. I still believe a period of no fishing encompassing fish spawning times is of benefit to fish leaving them undisturbed to 'get on with it', and to avoid catching them when they are probably at their weakest, and if anything i think the period could do with moving forward a month. However recent times have left me wondering how vulnerable our rivers are to poaching... especially some of the more secluded club waters - when those who fish for the pot ( by whatever means ) are virtually given a free hand, the likelyhood of being disturbed by anyone is far less likely unless constant bailiff patrols are kept up, basically i don't want to see the close season go, but i wonder which is the better of two evils ? :(

Back