• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Close Season Retained

I wanted it removed or at least changing....good to see democracy at work again, total waste of time and money by the EA seeing as they had no intention of changing it.

Was democratic Jaz.

Majority wanted it retained.

Some wanted it abolished

Some wanted a date change.

Unless you are taken in by the political garbage spouted by the losers and figure juggling.

If the EA had taken just the affected River Anglers views. Large Majority to retain it.

How those that seek to improve recruitment and improved environments on rivers like the Kennet can also seek all year fishing on the same rivers, is beyond understanding.

Last edited:
Ignore that last post I did something with a grid when I pressed the wrong button and couldn't get rid😀

I thought retain was the minority? Or did I remember wrong?

The statement was.
60% wanted a change in dates or abolishment.
The majority wanted abolishment.

Personally a river close season ideally from April 1 to July1 would suit me......but with the various species anglers desires that was never going to happen.

Last edited:
The statement was.
60% wanted a change in dates or abolishment.
The majority wanted abolishment.

Personally a river close season ideally from April 1 to July1 would suit me......but with the various species anglers desires that was never going to happen.

That's what I voted for Graham, this year, we've been fishing for spawning fish in July, and there's been many a year we've been doing the same on June 16th.

I agree entirely Graham. You could even run that up to July 16th to be sure they have finished spawning properly.

Just a paper exercise and waste of money in my opinion. I read and filled in the entire form but know of plenty of anglers that read the first two or three pages and just gave up because it was just to complicated with to many imo again irrelevant questions.
Surly there only needed to be three simple questions. Keep as is ' keep but change date's' abolish . I'm sure far more if not all anglers would have taken literally two seconds to cast there vote. I'm not really bothered which outcome it was but feel we needed the vast magority to vote.

Barely 2% of license holders got off their lazy arse and bothered to vote. So yes, technically, that is democracy in action.

its certainly great news, I feel all the money I spent with my solicitor to fight this campaign on my behalf, has paid off, I didn’t just deal with the EA as I didn’t feel happy in trusting them. I went to the Government departments Michael Gove MP Secretary of State for Environment who would have to sign off any new law, also DEFRA and my MP Nigel Evans who was a great help. I have now sent them a thank you letter saying "I am happy with the result",

Barely 2% of license holders got off their lazy arse and bothered to vote. So yes, technically, that is democracy in action.
Probably the remaining 98% don't fish rivers and felt they didn't care as they get to fish all year anyway, strange really how land locked fish don't get any protection during spawning and no one cares.
Call me an old cynic but the closed season was never intended to look after the fish, it was to keep the oiks off the water while the gentry fished for the salmon and trout. With improving rivers the salmon runs are getting better each year, there's some big money and people involved here, I'm not surprised the closed season didn't get scrapped.
From my point of view after being out all winter pike fishing I'm pleased to put my gear away mid March anyway.

That's pretty bizarre, Neil, bearing in mind the rain, levels and the resulting good fish being caught across the country. Why would you consider fishing now a waste of time? Just curious.

Back