• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Close Season Blues

It seems my "Close Season Blues" post has prompted 2 main "themes", namely, how things used to be and current problems with pollution.
As a 71 year old I like to think I am quite "forward thinking".
It's easy to think about "the good old days" of river fishing but not all rivers were in pristine condition years ago (although the scale of pollution wasn't as widespread as it is now)
Like so many of us on this forum I am aware of the reduction in numbers of birds, butterflies and insects that used to be an enjoyable feature of any session on the river.
I'm just grateful that I found fishing so early on in my life and have enjoyed some wonderful "red letter" days by the waters edge.
Roll on the 16th June and let's get out there again !

I heard that

The additive diesel cars use adblue is the said to be pigs urine. Not sure if true.
I believe adblue contains urea. Unlikely to contain any pigs urine. Poultry manures are very high in uric acid, perhaps that's where somebody has put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5?

I believe adblue contains urea. Unlikely to contain any pigs urine. Poultry manures are very high in uric acid, perhaps that's where somebody has put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5?
I never could count anyway or remember names Sid. That adblue rumour is quite common. Wonder where it came from?

It seems my "Close Season Blues" post has prompted 2 main "themes", namely, how things used to be and current problems with pollution.
As a 71 year old I like to think I am quite "forward thinking".
It's easy to think about "the good old days" of river fishing but not all rivers were in pristine condition years ago (although the scale of pollution wasn't as widespread as it is now)
Like so many of us on this forum I am aware of the reduction in numbers of birds, butterflies and insects that used to be an enjoyable feature of any session on the river.
I'm just grateful that I found fishing so early on in my life and have enjoyed some wonderful "red letter" days by the waters edge.
Roll on the 16th June and let's get out there again !
Same here. The old days I suppose had more polluted rivers but we still managed to catch netfulls of roach and bream from the Bristol Avon on the lower stretches. But its the type of pollution now that is so damaging, and does point to farming as the problem.

But its the type of pollution now that is so damaging, and does point to farming as the problem.
Depends on the catchment. My local river has a fairly extensive agricultural land use, but it is severely impacted by sewage discharges.

One factor that is largely ignored by the EA is also pollution from roads. I suspect this is much more significant than is widely believed.

Depends on the catchment. My local river has a fairly extensive agricultural land use, but it is severely impacted by sewage discharges.

One factor that is largely ignored by the EA is also pollution from roads. I suspect this is much more significant than is widely believed.

So we can add that to the list. 😐

Couldn't resist this photo - Castleford in 1974 - bit too much deteregent in the Aire ....

Attachments

• cas.jpg
    cas.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 92
Fwiw I’ve been using ponds recently to get my kids interested. A guaranteed catch of something biggish has its benefits to spark their interest. This weekend I caught my first ever pool stocked barbel

Fwiw I’ve been using ponds recently to get my kids interested. A guaranteed catch of something biggish has its benefits to spark their interest. This weekend I caught my first ever pool stocked barbel
I know of stillwaters that stock barbel but have never fished them. Did your pool stocked barbel fight like its river cousin? I'm guessing that as you weren't battling against the river flow as well as the fish, it didn't fight as hard?

I know of stillwaters that stock barbel but have never fished them. Did your pool stocked barbel fight like its river cousin? I'm guessing that as you weren't battling against the river flow as well as the fish, it didn't fight as hard?
It gave a good account of itself but as you say it wasn’t a river fight. Plus it was small and after catching small carp all day it probably seemed better than it was. Although I knew it wasn’t something more sporting instantly

Back