• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Clip on polaroids

I bought some for next to nothing on ebay a few years ago and they were really good (but can't remember the seller). Eventually went for varifocal prescription sunglasses but the clip-on's were good at everything except stopping light coming in at the side; that also depends on the shape of your glasses.

Similar to these, which allow you to flip them up when required:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polarized...hash=item41c0b3a489:m:m8FJ2rw6qaxAgeKGifUtVXA

I bought some genuine branded Polaroid flip ups from a local optician for about a tenner a few years back.. Really good.

I've tried various clip-ons over the years including some ridiculously expensive ones, but now much prefer over-glasses. Even the cheaper polarised ones do a better job for me and cutting out sunlight from the sides is a big advantage. Obviously it does depend on not having large frame prescription specs, and over-glasses inevitably look over-sized, but they are light enough not to bother me at all.

If you buy Polaroid glasses remember to buy ones with polarised lenses.
Polaroid is just a brand name as such you won't necessarily receive polarised lenses.

Jason

One of the things I have noticed is that the lenses on your glasses can scratch where the clips fit. I have slipped some clear (shrink) tube onto the clips to prevent this. I do have some overfits as well which are better but more bulky and difficult to carry in a pocket

There are a few non polarised models in the range Anthony.It would probably be very unlucky if the pair someone ordered turned out not to be polarised.But not impossible.

Jason

I tried clip ons for a while. Found they made my glasses too heavy and they slipped off my nose when I was looking down (particularly when I was a bit sweaty!).

Replaced them with some prescription sunglasses from Optilabs IIRC which have been absolutely brilliant.

I have been using these for a few seasons and they are available in Amber Or Grey lenses

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIWA-PRO...hash=item2a6737016a:m:mZvUHuWMwT2V2-vs-4QSYgw

Hi David, Cheeky question i know, but i don't know the answer and i may buy these two. Iv'e been using the cheaper ones from China (about £2 quid approx) do you think the Daiwa ones are better? Also, since i have used the cheap ones i have never seen a fish that i could not see without sun glasses:)

Many thanks
Stephen

P.S. I Mainly use them on my reading glasses on holiday for books etc:)

I think for fishing the over glasses are vastly superior shutting out all light from the sides far more relaxing for the eyes on a sunny day
and making what we are wearing them for far better than any clip ons could

I don't wear glasses whilst fishing so this is not wholly relevant to the thread, but just for info.

The best pair of fishing sunglasses I've had were from America, by the Teeny Nymph Company

However when I asked my optician whether they would protect against UVA and UVB rays he said "if in doubt chuck 'em out". Even whilst looking a water the reflected UV rays would do damage. Apparently one cannot test (in normal situation without a laboratory).

I once saw some cheapo sunglasses in a seaside beach shop for £1.50 and they had a label suggesting UVA and UVB protection, but I wondered if it were true.

Brown would appear to give the greatest contrast. It is particularly good when float fishing. I used to fly gliders as a hobby and tried, Brown, blue and grey lenses to spot the denser cloud where the best lift would be. Brown were by far the best.

Back