• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chum mixer these days - help please

Julian Marshall

It must be 15 years since I used these as carp floaters - they were great. Had a look on the shelves & not sure they exist any more - tried some `chicken & rice` little ball type chunks & they fell apart very quickly.
The old stuff was perfect, just perfectly rubbery when damp ( no Chinese restaurant jokes please) & would take some flavour.
Any tips for a replacement please?

The Tesco's premium mixer is about the best but still not a patch on the original mixer,goes soggy and falls of far too quickly.
I still use the original mixer,I pre drill them and soak them in hemp oil.
I always use the beachcaster rig these days and they last on there for hours.They don't seem to float to well when soaked in oil,seems a bit odd.
Phil.W

Chum mixers still exist, I bought some quite recently and caught on them yesterday. However, they don't seem to float quite as well as they used to. I've been led to believe that they've changed the recipe over the years.
I always prepare them by flashing boiling water over them then draining. They go soft enough to get a hook in them and don't swell up as agressively in the water. I tend to use them for chub on the rivers and carp on stillwaters.

Julian,

when I floater fish I usually use Tesco's value mixers,they seem to last fairly well, failing that the Asda Smart price mixers are also
good and not too costly.

a good sprinkling of oil (my preference is sesame seed oil) to give em extra appeal and help keep em on the surface, the carp love the stuff:)

Back