• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chub in the winter

Don't blame you mate,...always another time,.... it's not supposed to be an endurance test is it.;)
Forecasting possible sleet for Thursday into Friday, plus 20mph northwesterly...not pleasant.

Chaps, how often does that Knappmill temperature site update? It has stopped on the 6th for me and not updated since, I am wondering if its my computer or if its only updated every week or so.

Chaps, how often does that Knappmill temperature site update? It has stopped on the 6th for me and not updated since, I am wondering if its my computer or if its only updated every week or so.

Hi George
Noticed the same myself, .. the site stopped giving data for a short while back in the autumn as well. I'm not sure why, perhaps for recalibration or general maintenance?
Hopefully it will be back online soon.

Hi George
Noticed the same myself, .. the site stopped giving data for a short while back in the autumn as well. I'm not sure why, perhaps for recalibration or general maintenance?
Hopefully it will be back online soon.

Weird that it stopped on exactly the same day you mentioned it. Maybe it overheard us talking about it and got all shy and insecure.

edit. Just noticed it was the 6th it stopped not the 8th.

How’s the chub fishing going for everyone this year? Couldn’t believe I had to go back nearly two years to revive a chub thread!!

Managed my first ‘6’ of the season yesterday, which was very welcome indeed. It’s been tough going with all the water on everywhere.

4F0C0D28-E63C-4C94-BC93-2D1A06786E78.jpeg

Lovely colours, a real cracker!

Surprised it was only worthy of a mat shot?! I’d have been proudly sat behind it with another goofy grin 😊
No choice I’m afraid Stuart. They all get Matt shots unless a dog walker comes by at the right moment and takes my phone shot for me. Barbel usually get 45mins to an hour in the net to recover so I manage to get most of them with my mug in.

Well it’s a lovely fish irrespective of photography, congratulations!

Incidentally, on the subject of photography, I’ve actually taken to just recording a video on my phone using a little grippa tripod attached to the back of chair and then taking still images from the video at a later point. With the camera turned around on the iPhone (selfie mode) you can see exactly what’s going on, so actually produces reasonable compositions for the photos and also means much less faffing around and time on the bank for the fish, so works well all round

Incidentally, on the subject of photography, I’ve actually taken to just recording a video on my phone using a little grippa tripod attached to the back of chair and then taking still images from the video at a later point. With the camera turned around on the iPhone (selfie mode) you can see exactly what’s going on, so actually produces reasonable compositions for the photos and also means much less faffing around and time on the bank for the fish, so works well all round
That’s a great idea. I might just steel that’s one mate. I’ve never thought of using the video to get the photos. Nice one cheers.

I’ve only had them to 6.11, but I’m on a quest for a 7lber! March is usually prime time, so will be trying my best.

And no worries about the video idea, I was amazed at how well it works! Another low 6 from this week using the same camera technique:

View attachment 9696View attachment 9697
Wow what a chunk!
most of mine are usually around 1-3lb and usually I catch them accidentally on the barbel gear. Only ever had one 7lb fish and that was caught floating bread down the Ouse mid June a few years ago.

I will make a Little adapter to fit my phone to a bank stick and just record a few seconds of video from now on. That’s a way smarter idea than trying to hit a button at the right time lol. I’ve always traveled light so cameras and tripods are never taken with me.
dunno why I’ve never thought of it before 🤣

Now that Stuart, is a great idea, and so simple as are most of the best ideas . I am going to do a Richard Isaacs and unashamedly nick it. I fish mostly on my own, and am the worlds worst at selfies.
Cracking Chub by the way, I managed a PB of 7lbs according to my Avons, this year on the Wye, but it was in terrible weather, raining stair rods, treacherous bank, slippy as a slippy thing, and I did not want to risk my phone in the deluge , so it went unrecorded .

Even a recorded selfie in those conditions would be a no no !

David.

Back