• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

christmas barbel / pike ????

hi guys,I`m a regular reader of the threads on here and have fished the Wye
around a dozen times for barbel but happy to admit I`m still a novice.
Its a great river,just love it.Shame its a long way from Portsmouth :(.
I`m spending christmas in Woolhope north of Ross and would appreciate some advice on pike fishing the Wye.
Also is it possible to fish for barbel in december ?
Any help you can offer re techniques etc would be much appreciated.

Barbel fishing is December will depend on water temps. If it stays mild then there's no reason why you can't catch Barbel esp. if the rivers has rain from the SW and some colour. However, if we are hit with frosts and the river is cold and clear then Pike are a better bet. Pike will be present in nearly every stretch. Find the bait fish and the Pike won't be too far away. I'd be deadbaiting, fishing towards features such as eddies, overhanging trees, fallen branches, etc. Would give each spot no more than 20 mins since if a Pike is there and willing they'll normally find a bait pretty quickly. Keep mobile and I'm sure you'll find a fish or two. Some biggies on the Wye so make sure you have the right gear and unhooking tools as well as making sure your rigs are safe.

Thanks Lee your comments are much appreciated.I have fished for pike but
only in lakes,no experience of rivers.I am sure it will be a steep learning curve.Its nice to hear about the possibility of barbel, since I started fishing for them I don`t seem to be able to generate a lot of interest in other species.I`ve been hooked on them for 2 years now and to be honest I think
I have become fixated.:)

Terry welcome to bfw , i fish quite often for pike on the wye , fish close in look for fallen trees , over hanging bushes , creases in the river , slow deep pools etc , dead baiting is the best in my opinion , roach , trout and lamprey get the results for me , good luck .

Thanks for your comments guys.I cant wait.One of the reasons for going at christmas is that I have only seen the river at summer level so it will be really
interesting to see it in the winter.
tight lines: D

Back