• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Christchurch or Ringwood AA

George Maltby

Hi guys,
Potentially moving to christchurch for a new job in a couple of weeks...which isnt awfull!
My question is, which one of the two would you join if you were only joining one? I like to fish for barbel, roach and perch primarily. I am also a keen sea angler and have heard christchurch aa control a large part of the good flounder/bass zones in the harbour? Is this true?

Been thinking of joining CAA myself for the last few months. So i to would be interested what the club member have to say.

Buy one permit as a Christmas present for yourself and then the other one in time for the river season. Spreads the cost nicely.

Yeah both would be ideal...issue is with the sea fishing going on aswell i almost have too many options! Was keen to narrow it down a bit and get to know some stretches intimately rather than darting around between too many. Sooooo...if i put a figurative gun to your collective heads and made you choose?..roach perch barbel.
I am thinking ringwood due to the harbour control

A factor which may swing it for you in the way the permit works. I believe CAC is January to January, i.e. If you paid up now it would run out in Jan. Maybe Dave can confirm that. Also take into account where your home will be. Be very annoying to have to drive past some great water further afield simply because of the club you chose.

A factor which may swing it for you in the way the permit works. I believe CAC is January to January, i.e. If you paid up now it would run out in Jan. Maybe Dave can confirm that. Also take into account where your home will be. Be very annoying to have to drive past some great water further afield simply because of the club you chose.

Both clubs have rolling membership

Buy one permit as a Christmas present for yourself and then the other one in time for the river season. Spreads the cost nicely.

Like that idea Graham ;)
Another option would be to fork out for the RDAA permit in one hit ..then take advantage of the monthly direct debit option @ £11.47 per month ( I think) for the CAC ticket.
It's also worth considering day ticket availability and the free stretches if time on the bank is limited.

Ringwood gives you more water, including iconic venues such as the Royalty and Throop as well as the harbour and all of the lower Stour up to Parley but their Avon fishing is more middle Avon (Severals, Ibsley, Breamore). CAC have more lower Avon stretches (Winkton, Sopley) and a highly regarded stretch of the Stour at Kinson (immediately above Parley).

CAC is also marginally cheaper, albeit for a lot less water, but both offer the prospect of excellent fishing for your chosen species. It really comes down to personal preference and where you will be based.

Dave

CAC do offer a "holiday ticket" it gives you access to thier waters for 2 weeks for £80;
http://www.christchurchac.org.uk/holiday-membership/holiday-membership-information
Quite expensive for a fortnight, (over half of a years full membership) an option I spose.
It's worth pointing out that both clubs offer day tickets on some waters. I'd be happy to show you some of the RDAA waters if you go that way. I'd join both it I don't have enough free time to use both really.

Cheers guys, i will be based on the eastern side of bournemouth...probably boscombe area as that seems to be where all the new flats have been built, (I will be moving down on my own).
Thanks Stephen, I may take you up on that offer, have to get work sorted first so not sure when i will be out and about.

Hi George

I am a member of both clubs and find that both have some great waters.
RDAA have without doubt the most iconic waters as previously mentioned but CAC has some lovely smaller waters with a good head of specimen Perch and Roach (Wedghill Ponds).
If you can afford it join both;)
Incidentally I am the owner of Sea Fishing Poole details available on our website www.seafishingpoole.co.uk so if you want to get out sea fishing give me a call, I have access to many of the best skippers in Poole, feel free to call or email me
Keith

You can pay monthly for Christchurch via a direct debit . I beleive its £12 a month. Also worth considering a boat permit for Christchurch harbour, or join RDAA and use the club boat!
Of course then there is Wimborne club to consider, lots of the Stour from Wimborne to Blandford!
Neil
Edit just seen the direct debit has already been covered......long day

Hi chaps,
I have decided that ringwood is the ticket for me. Now there is an awful lot of water to fish on this ticket and i appreciate that the avon and stour have become very tricky in recent years. To begin with i am more interested in just landing a barbel...i am not interested in size so much...just want to get a fish or two under the belt. Will be getting a night ticket as most my fishing will be after work. Do you think i would be better of on the stour or avon? (Lets exclude the royalty just for now). If so which stretch would be a good starting point? I have heard throop is far tougher than it used to be but is close as i will be living in southbourne. I am just keen not to pick a very tough stretch whith just a few lumps in it straight away through lack of knowledge...as i may get a bit disheartened and just stick to the sea fishing! (i am used to the sometimes ridiculously easy wye fishing!). The issue is from the spiel on the website you would believe every stretch they have has a big head of fish...but this is clearly not the case. They may all be tough...but which is the 'least tough'. I used to fish Lifelands a few years back with good success, i understand that it is now a syndicate. Its basically a decent head of smaller fish i am after in order to cut my teeth. Sorry for the long post.
George

''Its basically a decent head of smaller fish i am after in order to cut my teeth. Sorry for the long post''

I wouldn't exclude the Royalty then George..... Forget the others!

Can you night fish the royalty these days? If not it will have to be weekends, fished there before on a weekend and am not that keen on doing it again!

George,
The Royalty is certainly not as busy as it once was. During the summer holiday period you will have busy times. RDAA members have the option of 2 night permits on there (through Davis tackle) which you have to pay extra for, these allow you to fish anywhere above the lower bypass bridge other than Fiddlers east bank ( I believe)
RDAA members also have 2 night tickets below the lower bypass bridge, these are free.
All night tickets have to be pre booked through Davis tackle. There are rules attached to these tickets that obviously have to be adhered to.
There are still many barbel on this stretch with all years classes.
Give it a go and get a few fish under your belt then you may feel the urge for a few blanks elsewhere......
The club has an allowance of 20 'free' tickets on the water which you have to book in for in Davis tackle.
There are barbel on all of RDAA waters but none of them are easy.

Good luck
John

Back