• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Choosing between three barbel rods to get me started

As Hayden mentioned, for the upper Lea, 1.75 is as heavy as you'll need. Even. 1.5 may suffice. Look at the Korumm All-rounder. At £50 it's a lovely rod for the money.
I've now purchased the daiwa powermesh 1.75lb TC, the reel however now an issue. I wanted something light and was about to purchase the daiwa 20 GS BR LT - 5000 as it seemed a perfect compromise but just realised it does not come with a spare spool. I have emailed daiwa UK on how to purchase one separately. If, as I imagine will be the case, I don't receive a positive response, I have to find an alternative. I prefer braid but as the verulum club does now allow braid, I need a spare spool to allow me to easily swap as necessary. In the interim I can always use my Daiwa emblem br let 5000 from another rod, but really wanted a dedicated reel to match my new rod.

J.P. Go for a Shimano 4000 OC, and spare spools are available for about £15. I got mine from Johnson Ross and both reels and spools were in stock last time I looked.

I would avoid the 20 GS BR LT reel, it's essentially the same as an Emcast BR LT which I have and is a terrible reel, awful line lay and very cheap feeling.

If you can still get them, the Okuma Aventa baitfeeders in 5000 or 6000 size are top notch for £80 each and prefer them over my £260 Shimano Medium Baitrunner LC CI4's.

Had numerous Barbel this year on the Okumas and wouldn't swap them for anything else now.

I would avoid the 20 GS BR LT reel, it's essentially the same as an Emcast BR LT which I have and is a terrible reel, awful line lay and very cheap feeling.

If you can still get them, the Okuma Aventa baitfeeders in 5000 or 6000 size are top notch for £80 each and prefer them over my £260 Shimano Medium Baitrunner LC CI4's.

Had numerous Barbel this year on the Okumas and wouldn't swap them for anything else now.
I'm about to take up Terry's offer on the Shimano OC, but I have to admit I really like my Emcast BR LTs. I own three of them (2500/3000/5000) and find the line lay average but lovely drag for the price, particularly as I got all mine on ebay around the £65 mark.
I've not had the pleasure of using the Okuma Aventa and will look them up next time I'm in a store that lets me hold one.

I'm about to take up Terry's offer on the Shimano OC, but I have to admit I really like my Emcast BR LTs. I own three of them (2500/3000/5000) and find the line lay average but lovely drag for the price, particularly as I got all mine on ebay around the £65 mark.
I've not had the pleasure of using the Okuma Aventa and will look them up next time I'm in a store that lets me hold one.
The shimano 4000d or 4000oc is a far superior reel

Good initial choice on the rod, you won't go wrong with that but I agree with others that something a bit lighter may be more enjoyable to use on smaller waters.
I used a 1.25lb Drennan series 7 Avon on the Wye this year in low conditions and it was brilliant, great rod if you don't need to cast too much lead.

Contrary to what others have said I would always NOT go cheap first as almost always you will end up buying a more expensive and better rod anyway. You could save that by buying the best you can afford right now. As you have just did :). More fun and IF you are selling you will get a better chance of selling and a better price.

Cant go wrong with the Free SPirit. I have several pairs and they are one of the greatest values out there plus they have nice, rather old school fun fish playing tapers.

If you like Daiwas I may have an Emblem BR25A (spare) up for sale shortly . . .proper spool size, massive cranking power!

Wow, really amazed at all the helpful and informative responses. Really, thanks everyone!

Based on the feedback the 11ft is probably not the way to go, so 12ft it is.

@Terry Simner yes, I had heard it was a great rod and met someone on the wandle who was using one. Gave it a go and wasn’t much of a fan. Hard to put my finger on it, just a little stiffer action than I expected, even though for the money, clearly a very capable rod. As I love rolling meat and touch ledgering, where I use a weight (shot or a bomb mainly) that just holds bottom and bump it along to cover as much water as possible, sensitivity is really important. I know you get much of that through the line itself, but I noticed that often I would feel it through the rod first for some reason. With the Korum I felt I lost some of that. As for going to 12ft, I’m taking your advice and will be doing just that. Thanks.

@Huanzhou Zhu same response as above to Terry but just to admit I’m a bit of a tackle tart wanna be. Can’t quite afford the top gear, but love getting the best I can. I also have regretted all but two cheap rods I’ve purchased in the past and decided I would go straight to something I would get pleasure out of immediately. I’m not great with deferred gratification at all 😅
The reason I’m limiting myself budget wise in this instance, is that my wife is querying on if I really need the near 30 rods I have already amassed over just three years, as well as the fact I just treated myself to an Acolyte Ultra 15ft and a Wychwood River and Stream Fly Reel (as this is my first centerpin I didn’t go mad, it was only just over £50.00 in the Black Friday sales). This is for a trip down the Lower Itchen I’m planning for early January to try my hand at Grayling, a truly beautiful fish.

@Terry Harman it seems the general consensus is go for a 1.75lb and that’s what I now intend on doing. As for advice on the Lea, much appreciated; I enjoy the challenge of working out waters on my own, but if I struggle it’s great to know someone who can point me in the right direction.

@Haydn Clarke I’ll likely visit the upper Lea the most due to it’s comparative proximity, but the Great Ouse is a must, simply as I love the area. My first ever river membership was last year with the Olney and Clifton fishing association. The area was lovely and I managed to achieve the modest goal of landing a 5lb+ chub. I only made four trips there, but all were successful, apart from Barbel. The largest I landed was only slightly larger than my hand.

@Bill Walford that’s an incredibly generous offer. I’ve however made the decision to go with the Daiwa 1.75lb 12ft. I popped into a local AD store this morning and enjoyed it’s action, it felt like it could handle more than I expected. Time will tell if that was the correct decision. It was a really close call between going with it and the FS. But at £30.00 cheaper, the fact I love my two Daiwa lure rods (not that this necessarily translates across ) and I would likely not make use of the FS quiver tip, was just enough to make a final selection.

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly, I really appreciate the help and especially an offer of a free rod to boot! That’s what I call a supportive community.
Hi Jeanne-Pierre,

Welcome to BFW. I guess I'm late to the party and what all the other men have given is properly sound advice as always. So I will give you some recommendation based on my personal experience.

If you prefer rolling meat and touch ledge ring, then you cannot beat 11' 1.75. I have used many a 12' and they are all just a little too heavy for this kind of work.

I recently invested in a Torrix 11' 1.75 and I tell you it is the best rod I have ever used. In fact I mostly only go out with a single rod now, mostly roving from swim to swim, touch ledge ring and rolling meat in the summer.

I can hold all day long, super light and with the power to match most.

On another note of versatility for this, right now I am fishing my stretch of the kennet, flooded and into a weir pool with 4oz.

One of the best fishermen I know uses a 7ft rod for most of his barbel work 😂 on my stretch.

Anyhow something more to chew on. Good luck in your endeavour and welcome!

Bonjour Jean-Pierre and welcome to BFW.
I’ve got to agree with all said about the test curve of the rods and personally have a preference for 12ft rods. I have a 12ft 1.75lb TC Wychwood Rogue which is an old rod but in very good condition but is gathering dust and you are welcome to have it gratis to start you off before investing in a more expensive bit of gear. If you are still living in south London I’m able to meet you somewhere on the south circular as I wouldn’t want to be bothered with couriers. If you are still a South Londoner don’t give up on the Wandle, I know it’s not the prettiest of fishing surroundings but I’m lead to believe it turns up some nice Barbel. Moving out a bit there are also Barbel to be caught on the Mole, Wey and Medway.
Regards
Bill W
That is a kind offer from Biil. I used those Wychwood rods until a year or two ago and they are OK rods for the money, even more so when gifted! My advice would be to take up Bill's offer and once you get fishing on your new waters have a chat with other anglers and get their feedback on the rods they use. As others have said 1.75 will be adequate. My current rods are Free Spirit Spirit Gold 1.75 which are a similar price to the Tamer but I think a slightly nicer rod. If you subsequently decide you want quiver top sections they are available.

I've now purchased the daiwa powermesh 1.75lb TC, the reel however now an issue. I wanted something light and was about to purchase the daiwa 20 GS BR LT - 5000 as it seemed a perfect compromise but just realised it does not come with a spare spool. I have emailed daiwa UK on how to purchase one separately. If, as I imagine will be the case, I don't receive a positive response, I have to find an alternative. I prefer braid but as the verulum club does now allow braid, I need a spare spool to allow me to easily swap as necessary. In the interim I can always use my Daiwa emblem br let 5000 from another rod, but really wanted a dedicated reel to match my new rod.
You'll be fine with that rod. I use an old Drennan 1.25lb TC for the upper Lea and I've never felt the need for anything heavier. I also use centerpins exclusively. There's nowhere on the upper you can't reach with a simple one finger lob out and the ratchet makes a great bite indicator. And saves rods from being dragged in when you turn your back.

Back