• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chimera rods

Ah OK. I have 1 chimera no2 which I picked up 2nd hand. I have what was sold as a no3 at 12ft but the diameter of carbon on the butt section is massive compared to the no2. Does this sound right? Or could I have a higher t/c rod than I thought I bought? Bought 2nd hand.
Sounds about right to me, butt diameter increase over the C2 is noticeable - especially when you compare C2 and C3 blanks alongside.

Cheers
Bob

This is an 11 chimera but 1.25
I was talking with Nigel at Davis Tackle in Christchurch today. I need a replacement tip section for the 11FT 1.25 I had brought from him a couple of years ago. i won't mention how I broke the rod!!! Anyway he has been trying to speak to Steve at Harrisons to get one; he was told that that blank has been discontinued since last year. So, if Bob has a few blanks he could make a fortune😅😂

Thanks for your concern Neil, I think I do have an obsession with rods !! and I admit I do suffer from OCD.
You are also right that on some occasions I have sold on before even using ,or with very little use .
I only fish with one rod at a time ( mostly anyway) and have recently sold on the spares so I only have one of each TC .
This suits me much better as I can take 2 rods but just fish with whichever I feel is right.
I am actually trying to scale down the number of rods I have ,which is why you may see some for sale.
I know I recently purchased 6 Torrix rods of a friend who has had to give up fishing due to serious illness,and preferred a quick sale rather than take time ,to sell individual rods? I am in the process of cleaning them up and may or may not keep them. I don't smoke, I don't gamble,.so perhaps fishing rods is my addiction .😀
Good for you Adam. Said it but British manufactured blanks, skillfully assembled to bespoke specifications by craftsmen can only be an investment in my eyes. We are actually really fortunate to be able to do this with our hobby/ passion.Do you have any idea how much a bespoke shotgun costs? Ok £200-300 for a fishing rod is a lot of money, but it is within the reach of most anglers even it means putting a few quid away every month.
If you can pick them up 2nd hand, even better as you can use them, keep them or move them on and you normally will get what you paid for.
In the right place at the right time and you can make money as you said, if you so wish.
You clearly get a buzz out of it and you're doing no harm so kudos to you.
A few years ago I bought a complete carp fishing set-up that I didn't need for an absolute steal. Similar circumstances in that the guy was really ill , wanted a quick sale and named a price and I snapped his hand off. Just me, but I decided not to sell any of it, almost out of respect as it was a once in a lifetime ' barn find' deal. But seeing a grown man in tears as he says good bye to a hobby he clearly loved but physically could no longer partake in , sort of has that effect.😥
This winter I've done a lot of pike fishing and the majority of the carp gear has all been used and I admit to having a warm & fuzzy that i'd got to use the rod pods, delkims, baitboat, 50"nets, retainer slings , huge scales etc.( gear that has no place in barbel or chub fishing) as I think real anglers would want their gear to go to a good home and get used. I would.

Back