• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chicken Poo

20 odd years ago I went metal detecting with a club on a new farm
the farmer had 2 fields the field that ran parallel to the one we were detecting in had just had chicken manure spread on it the smell was really bad but then around 11.00 am the Sun came out by 12.00 everyone was heading home the smell made you want to vomit !!
it was without question the worse smell I have ever smelt in my life

A fair point. I suppose there’s a few variables there, clearly a Strawberry grown outside in the U.K. in season and sold in the U.K. would be the lowest Carbon cost. However one grown in an artificially heated/lit environment could potentially have a higher cost than one transported from the Med. I’m pretty sure some are even grown in North Africa. Certainly isn’t a home run of clarity.

I’d personally rather see seasonal U.K. produce on our tables but again appreciate that there’s room for nuance. Our food waste is pretty low as a household, it used to be zero but I’ve done away with poultry at home now.
A lot of non seasonal produce doesn't taste of anything anyway.

20 odd years ago I went metal detecting with a club on a new farm
the farmer had 2 fields the field that ran parallel to the one we were detecting in had just had chicken manure spread on it the smell was really bad but then around 11.00 am the Sun came out by 12.00 everyone was heading home the smell made you want to vomit !!
it was without question the worse smell I have ever smelt in my life
That was probably layer manure which smells particularly horrendous. Needs to be worked into the soil immediately after application to abate the smell which is ammonia volatilising into the atmosphere. From a farmers perspective that is pound notes disappearing into the ether it's all nitrogen lost to the next crop.

Councils can take action about the smell as its potentially classes as a statutory nuisance!

Back