• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheesepaste

Ben Cullen

Hi all
Made up a cheesepaste using stilton and cheddar on a boilie mix base but after freezing for a few days its gone like rock is there any way i can loosen it so to speak or do i start again

Try again but use breadcrumbs instead of base mix. Get it right and it will keep in or out of a fridge for ages (years). You can add to it if you are in danger of running out.

I make mine using the ready made dough available in spermarkets, grated cheese, blue cheese and in winter dried milk powder instead of flour to dry up the moisture from the cheese. At this time of year it needs to be very soft at room temperature as it will firm up in cold water. If casting a long way it pays to dip the paste in the river a few seconds to chill and firm it before casting.

I make mine using the ready made dough available in spermarkets, grated cheese, blue cheese and in winter dried milk powder instead of flour to dry up the moisture from the cheese. At this time of year it needs to be very soft at room temperature as it will firm up in cold water. If casting a long way it pays to dip the paste in the river a few seconds to chill and firm it before casting.

:eek: i hope that is just a typo error Clive 🤣

Hi all
Made up a cheesepaste using stilton and cheddar on a boilie mix base but after freezing for a few days its gone like rock is there any way i can loosen it so to speak or do i start again

Use ready made pastry dough instead of the base mix, and add a bit of margerine to keep it soft.

Hi all
Have you tried microwaving it for a short time (~30 secs)? The base mix has probably absorbed and adsorbed most of the oil from the cheese, but if you can get it soft by warming it, you may be able to get it malleable by adding a bit of oil (e.g. hemp oil or whatever)

To whatever mix you choose, add a drizzle of oil, I've used those infused oils before, be it chilli oil, black pepper oil etc. Gives it an extra kick.

But this season I am going to try a 2 egg boilie base mix, that contains cheese within its ingredients.
And I will add a very small amount of blue stilton and a flavoured oil to help keep it soft for the hook.

Have you tried microwaving it for a short time (~30 secs)? The base mix has probably absorbed and adsorbed most of the oil from the cheese, but if you can get it soft by warming it, you may be able to get it malleable by adding a bit of oil (e.g. hemp oil or whatever)
I will give that a try i did add a bit of hemp oil when mixing it i used activ 8 basemix and a bit of milk powder

I rely on the Terry Lampard mix. Third each of mature cheddar, strong blue and frozen pastry mix. Had 2 chub last pm on it in -2 conditions.

Shove it in a food processor and blitz it down to crumb, then start adding water a little dribble at a time until it comes together again.

Same as you would if you wanted to make a paste wrap out of boilies.

Back