• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheese Paste Recipes

• Thread starter Deleted member 3320
  • Start date
The hook bait company are hit & miss anyway. I've ordered from then on more than one occasion but takes ages to get your stuff even after several emails It has always arrived but took about 6 weeks.

IMHO cheesepaste should be exactly that - cheesepaste. No added bread or pastry for me. Just a simple 50/50 mix of mature cheddar and double gloucester. I normally add a bit of garlic eo or chinese stir fry oil. Sometimes I'll add a bit of betaine hcl.

Made some 2 years ago and left it in freezer, its minging, but the wife thinks its disgusting, so it has to be perfect. Cheddar, blue cheese, puff pastry does it for me.

Yep, simple as this. Buy any ready-roll pastry, mix in any softened left-over cheese, as strong as possible with some blue in it, plus garlic powder, salt. If too soft add crumb. Takes me about 3 minutes to make a few months' worth.

As I fish it with crumb anyway I've always got crumb handy. As someone said above, too stiff is rarely an issue.

Will be making a batch this av for a week on the Severn tomorrow - just my luck that the wind goes northerly as we arrive and stays northerly. So it's chub and perch all week I hope.

I've always got some left-over feta cheese which is not at all suitable for cheesepaste, but it does make a nice stinky semi-solution which keep frozen in small bottles and I often put in with my liquidised bread. In the winter I'm a big fan of prepping swims an hour or two in advance with a handful of liquidised bread and a few small blobs of cheesepaste. I'll do that for say 6-10 swims at 3pm, then from 4-7pm at this time of year fish each swim for only 15-20 mins each, upstream to down of course. Had some of my best chub that way (but to be honest this coming week I'll be doing more chub fishing than I have in total for the last 3-4 years so I may be a bit rusty).

Last edited:
I love the overengineered way.

I'll roll my own cheesy boilies in a HNV way with proper cheese and after the drying period I'll blitz some up in a food processor and turn into a paste wrap.

To make it hookable could add some plain flour before the water.

I use the pastry method. Tried it with bread but have had better results with the pastry way. Big block of cheddar, loads of stinky cheese. Salt and garlic paste.

Back