• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheese Boilies

Wayne Robinson

With winter just around the corner, it's time to think about chub fishing, so this season I was thinking of making or buying some Cheese Boilies instead of cheesepaste.
Can anyone recommend a base mix for this - Nutrabaits Hi Nu Val is discontinued, so the only other milk protein base I know is JB super milk? Doing a Google search I found EVG baits stinka blue cheese and garlic frozen boilies, has anyone used EVG baits? In particular the Stinka boilies?
I prefer frozen boilies, which for barbel fishing I get rolled and collect frozen, which are then put into my freezer within 20 minutes, so are still frozen solid.
On the EVG website it says that the boilies will be sent out frozen via 24 hour courier, so I guessing that the boilies will have defrosted by then, so what's your thoughts on re freezing boilies?
Sorry for the long post
Regards Wayne

Can fully recommend PP60 by Pyramid baits (John Cooper / Paul Farron - local Midlands supplier) if your looking for cheesy bait with a track record.

Zero fish meals / milk protiens / brewers yeast / blue cheese powder and a plentiful dosing of Nbutyric acid - it really does reek of old feet!

An all year round bait that I used for at least 5yrs and caught everywhere on it including my French PB Common . . .only reason I stopped using it was the price the got hiked considerably from the previous however if your not using it on a carp campaign (and ordering in 30-50kg batches) I'd give it a go!

In terms of freshness you've got 3x options - collect from the depot (Midlands) or spk to Pyramid and get them to send out fresh then freeze yourself; doubt they will do this on small quants however. Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much - I refreeze fresh frozen baits regularly (usually after washing them out - you could also airdry them first, then rehydrate then freeze - some argue this actually can improve any bait (stops boliles taking on lake / river smells etc)

Last edited:
Rollin baits (Dave Moore, original partner in Nutrabaits) do a decent milk protein mix.

Its well reviewed in the carp world. Not cheap, but less than the JB version.

The mix that Chris B recommended sounds like a winner.

Rollin baits (Dave Moore, original partner in Nutrabaits) do a decent milk protein mix.

Its well reviewed in the carp world. Not cheap, but less than the JB version.

The mix that Chris B recommended sounds like a winner.
Whats that mix called ?

Is Hi Nu Val discontinued? I can still add it to my Nutrabaits basket with no indication it's out of stock.

Wayne Robinson's recommendation sounds like a good option.

I've not tried 3ft twitch baits, but they do a cheese boilie that you can order, and sizes down to 10mm I beleive. With paste option too. Nice yellow colour.

I'd personally find a soft boilie to use for Chub, and I make my own now.

Wayne Robinson's recommendation sounds like a good option.

I've not tried 3ft twitch baits, but they do a cheese boilie that you can order, and sizes down to 10mm I beleive. With paste option too. Nice yellow colour.

I'd personally find a soft boilie to use for Chub, and I make my own now.
Hi Julian
Thought about this but out of stock of cheese and garlic! Again looking for a good quality ready made or base mix.
You still owe me, so PM me your recipe😏
Regards Wayne

hinders do a big cheeze range , there in the barbel baits section on there website
Tried this a couple years ago, didn't catch anything on it! To be fair many years ago I did use Hi Nu Val ( home made boilies) for barbel fishing and had loads of chub on it, but if using barbel gear they don't count!

Hi All
So back to my question -
What is your thoughts on re freezing boilies? There's lot of boilie company's that post frozen boilies so lots of you should have an opinion!

With winter just around the corner, it's time to think about chub fishing, so this season I was thinking of making or buying some Cheese Boilies instead of cheesepaste.
Can anyone recommend a base mix for this - Nutrabaits Hi Nu Val is discontinued, so the only other milk protein base I know is JB super milk? Doing a Google search I found EVG baits stinka blue cheese and garlic frozen boilies, has anyone used EVG baits? In particular the Stinka boilies?
I prefer frozen boilies, which for barbel fishing I get rolled and collect frozen, which are then put into my freezer within 20 minutes, so are still frozen solid.
On the EVG website it says that the boilies will be sent out frozen via 24 hour courier, so I guessing that the boilies will have defrosted by then, so what's your thoughts on re freezing boilies?
Sorry for the long post
Regards Wayne
Are you likely to be fishing lots of different venues or are you looking to apply a bait over the course of winter?? I put together a boilie basemix cheese bait a few years back and caught well on it but nowadays I rely on a good fishmeal type bait for my winter chubbing, either in paste, boilie form or a combination of the two. I see cheesepaste fishing as very much a high attract/almost single hookbait way of fishing, its likely that lots of others are using similar baits too which is something I'd rather avoid. In fact I've not used cheesepaste for years now and I catch a lot of big chub throughout winter.
I do like your idea but cheese based baits might not be the best option depending on your angling circumstances 😉

Hi
Yes I've thought about this but not sure if you can make boilies out of it? Also at £6.00 ish per kilo not sure about the quality of it?
You should be able to if you add egg to it? I never used their cheese base mix, but I do like their barbel proactive boilies, and at only 6, worth to give it a try?
Hi All
So back to my question -
What is your thoughts on re freezing boilies? There's lot of boilie company's that post frozen boilies so lots of you should have an opinion!
I always re freeze my boilies, and other bait.

Also, I think the Hi Nu Val basemix is still available, but at 25 per kilo, is it way to expensive? More than what JB cost.

Hi All
So back to my question -
I was fishing fruit flavoured fishmeal boilies one year.
One particular day, it was hot & humid, & they started to sweat, in no time at all they were covered in a mould, and the bait got better and better, the following day they stank and we were still catching loads. So after that moment, I never throw them away, and if mould appears on them I'm still not phased Wayne. 👍

Back