• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Check your insrance small print before you 'lose' your gear

Paul Dowgill

Having reported on here an having my tackled stolen a few weeks ago - I am now into dealing the insurance company. Good news is no questions asked on my house contents policy, less good news is the need to check the small print. I submitted a list of all my stuff and about 40 pages of receipts and photos of most of my gear, plus a video of the break in.

My policy states 'like for like' which for such things as Grey Prodigy rods has worked well but for most of the stuff hasn't. So they cannot replace my Peregrine rod but suggest a Harrison instead, all my Lone Angler stuff is now Fox/Gardner (nothing wrong with this but if i had wanted this it the first place i would have bought it) and huge in comparison, Enterprise isotopes are Gardner bugs. Over 100 floats become 35 mainly still water, Stonz are Korda leads and as for the bait i haven't heard of the replacement. My Trudex suggested replacement was a Purist (i turned it down - I might be mad!!). My 1970's Mitchell 300 is now a new version - best not to say much really as i might have to sell it. It is almost they think i am a carp angler given what has been sent - even though the rods say barbel and the photos are of barbel/chub.

I have held out for a cash settlement on the centrepins and a couple of custom built rods but only because the dealer who the insurance company outsources this to cannot find a suitable 'like for like', this also includes Heaton Scales or a weigh sling (no logic there). But as the policy say like for like - it is proving less easier than it should to get the cash and sending bits back such as helicopter rigs and other bits, and a Fox landing net has a cost plus considerable delay and may mean that i have refused this part of the settlement and could lose it.

So the moral is, check your insurance small print, as if this happens you may end up like me with stuff you do not want/need and won't use because it says 'like for like' which isn't the same as identical.

I'd be getting a loss adjuster involved if I were you and get as best a settlement as possible.
One downside of claiming on your policy will be that no other company will insure you for the foreseeable future, so you're stuck with the one you're with and the inevitable annual hike in your premium that's surely coming.
'Like for like' means exactly that, not the nearest thing their preferred supplier can get, is the line a good loss adjuster would be taking.

Graham you are probably right but at £300 plus year I suppose weigh up the pros and cons of this...i should keep my expensive gear in the house but that ain't going to happen, it has to be as far away as possible :D

Graham you are probably right but at £300 plus year I suppose weigh up the pros and cons of this...i should keep my expensive gear in the house but that ain't going to happen, it has to be as far away as possible :D

Didn't realise it was so expensive, when my tackle was stolen I claimed on my house insurance and was allowed to pick the replacement tackle although it had to be from a shop that the insurance company stipulated.

Graham
That was one quote I saw, my policy is the same but the dealer only has certain brands and that is where it gets difficult. If you have anything out of the ordinary the suggested replacement is way off, hence I am holding out for cash. Probably will buy less stuff in future as a lot of it gets little use....it is that bloke collecting thing :D

Its bad enough having your tackle stolen but its things that you have had for years that are the sometimes impossible to replace, I hope you get the result you want from the insurer.

Back