• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheap TFG barbel rods

Clive Shipman

Senior Member & Supporter
In need of a cheap barbel rod these are as cheap as I've seen and really good quality. Ebay no. 312182158099
£34.99 delivered 2 x different models

TF gear rods are generally good even the cheap ones so at that price worth a punt, you sell a lot of used tackle have you not come across a pair of decent used ones. Always seems to be good used ones on eBay and they don't seem to go for a lot now the barbel bubble seems to have burst.

I had a pair last year which a mate now has as spare rods I actually think they are quite good.

I bought a pair, new, off eBay very cheaply and have been impressed. I got the big river version to use for trips to the Wye and was able too cast heavy feeders with confidence. The finish is good and the action was nice when playing some fish hooked on the far bank. Not sure why they are so cheaply priced.

The " ex demo" rods are rods that people have purchased and sent back for whatever reason.. I have bought "ex demo" goods as well as rods from fishtec and would have no hesitation in buying them again, couldn't tell the difference from new with the stuff I had bought, good bargains to be had.. I have 2 of the big river rods, 2lb t/c and comes with a 5oz quiver section as well, nice slim blanks, lightweight and a good quite powerful action..nice rods!

I have a 1.5lb and the big river 2lber of these rods. Well made and a good progressive action. Worth every penny. Slim blanks but not as slim my( only a couple mill difference) 1.25 and 1.5 rods of the original TFG avons that were built on Free Spirit blanks.
The 1.5lb make a nice Trench rod along with Chub and Barbel of course and the 2lb for Carp into the doubles. Works well as a flood rod too. The reel seat is a big improvement over the originals. Both blanks are of the same outside diameter.( the 2lb has a slightly thicker inside diameter) If you have 2 like me, it is easy to mix up the top with the butt sections.
Can't see why these rods at £34 don't fly off the shelves. Just as good or even better than their higher priced counterparts. Don't dismiss them just because of their name. Fish can't tell the difference. As for Phil's comment that they are customer returns. They are not. Some are dealer returns as not being sold. But TFG like to play with words. Like Rrp, ex-demo etc. These are more like an end of range models. I got mine from their shop in Wales and they had to open new shipping boxes to get mine out.
One word of warning do not buy the Banshee barbel rod. As this is a budget rod and the fittings/ blank are nowhere near the same quality.

Last edited:
I have the 2lb TC and it is an ideal flood rod. I would prefer double leg rings all through as I am a bit ham fisted with my rods but other than that it's a good rod and under priced for what it delivers.

I have the 2lb TC and it is an ideal flood rod. I would prefer double leg rings all through as I am a bit ham fisted with my rods but other than that it's a good rod and under priced for what it delivers.
Just call it your 'players' rod, folk will be impressed. ;)

I have two TF Barbel rods, they are light and very impressive, built on Free Spirit blanks, I have had them for about 4 years, I do alternate them with my Harrison Avon's, I have not had a single problem with them, they handle large fish in fast water without any problems.

TFG rods have never been built on free spirit blanks it is a myth Simon bond had something to do with tfg in the early days but went off to start free spirit... I believe that is where the story comes from... personally I think the early tfg blanks were very good and look very similar to free spirits.... was going to buy a pair of the big river barbel but unsurprisingly they have now sold out

Last edited:
Was going to start a thread last week asking about a new rod, but came across this, and ordered one for delivery tomorrow. Just in time me-thinks as at last the rain has arrived here and the rivers are flushing through.

Good Luck with it Harry and let us know when you Christian it

Used mine on Thursday night still water carping. Really impressed great action and plenty of power pulling carp from dense margins and reeds. Bargain at that price. I would add though my bottom eye isn't quite lined up only slightly.

Back