• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheap, REALLY cheap, bite alarms

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, although several of them I wouldn't put into the "REALLY cheap" bracket!

In the end I plumped for some no-name Chinese ones from the 'Bay at £3.79 each as a starter, given that they won't get very regular use. They're broadly similar to the ones Iain suggested above, although not the same. You can change the volume, tone and sensitivity, and they claim to be water proof.

So we shall see how we go, but if these give up the ghost fairly quickly I know I'll need to spend a bit more.

Old Chinese proverb " Buy Cheap, Buy Twice " :D

I once took an expensive buzzer into work to see if the instrument fitters could repair it, they reckoned the bits inside were worth nowhere near what it cost to buy it and that they could be purchased for a few quid. :eek:

I once took an expensive buzzer into work to see if the instrument fitters could repair it, they reckoned the bits inside were worth nowhere near what it cost to buy it and that they could be purchased for a few quid. :eek:

And no doubt made in the same factory (or one very very similar) as the unbranded ones I bought.

It's like Apple products and sub-£1000 Cannondale bicycles - the important hardware bits are the same as what you get in the fraction-of-the-price alternatives.

Some people not only on this forum seem to think everything made in China must be rubbish. Some are but just think nearly every bit of fishing kit is made there now. Rods, line, reels, luggage etc. Most are rebranded or made for the most popular brands in this country. 99% of fishing line are made in one or two factories in China again rebranded for the main brands over here. Just think if you can buy directly from a seller in China on Ebay that sells, say reels with a funny translated name or unbranded for a few quid but buy the same reel from a UK seller with a known branded name stamped all over it the price will be in high double figures.
What i find strange is how can the Chinese fit up to 12 bearing in their reels for a few quid but over here, for example, Shimano 1000 only has two. I bought a £20 inc post reel from a Chinese seller about 4 years ago. It came with 12+1 sealed bearings, spare alloy spool. I never cleaned it, dropped in the water even used it for a bit of sea spinning, i just didn't look after it. After each session, i just chucked in the bottom of my bag. To date the reel still has the same Finnish as the day it came out of the box, the alloy has not corroded and most of all it's still ultra silly smooth. Even the drag is step less. So as Derek has written "Old Chinese proverb Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" is not always the case.
If you're a tackle tart you will disagree with everything ive written. But just try one of these "cheap" Chinese reels and you may be surprised. "Old Iain proverb Don't knock it till you try it". Oh forgot isn't Shimano, Daiwa, Fox, Greys made in China.
Moan over

Some people not only on this forum seem to think everything made in China must be rubbish. Some are but just think nearly every bit of fishing kit is made there now. Rods, line, reels, luggage etc. Most are rebranded or made for the most popular brands in this country. 99% of fishing line are made in one or two factories in China again rebranded for the main brands over here. Just think if you can buy directly from a seller in China on Ebay that sells, say reels with a funny translated name or unbranded for a few quid but buy the same reel from a UK seller with a known branded name stamped all over it the price will be in high double figures.
What i find strange is how can the Chinese fit up to 12 bearing in their reels for a few quid but over here, for example, Shimano 1000 only has two. I bought a £20 inc post reel from a Chinese seller about 4 years ago. It came with 12+1 sealed bearings, spare alloy spool. I never cleaned it, dropped in the water even used it for a bit of sea spinning, i just didn't look after it. After each session, i just chucked in the bottom of my bag. To date the reel still has the same Finnish as the day it came out of the box, the alloy has not corroded and most of all it's still ultra silly smooth. Even the drag is step less. So as Derek has written "Old Chinese proverb Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" is not always the case.
If you're a tackle tart you will disagree with everything ive written. But just try one of these "cheap" Chinese reels and you may be surprised. "Old Iain proverb Don't knock it till you try it". Oh forgot isn't Shimano, Daiwa, Fox, Greys made in China.
Moan over

Iain, did you not notice the big grin at the end of my post ??????

All the light bulbs in my house, (L.E.D.), were bought off ebay from China. Think they cost me less than 50p each, same bulbs in Asda, Tesco etc, are £5 each.

All the bulbs ( except headlight ), in my hackney cab, are also L.E.D. bought from China. These cost between 10p and 45p. In a garage that supplies taxi spares, they cost between £3 to £5. Ive sold hundreds to other drivers for a £1 each.

So i'm not as daft as most people think i am. :D:D:D

Was it not Japan instead of China years ago:confused: Don't buy Japanese it's cheap rubbish etc. I have seen people selling Reels stating that they were the original "Made in Japan" one's:) It's really refreshing the we Angler's aren't gullible or,dare i say it, snobbish at times:D

Stephen

Iain, did you not notice the big grin at the end of my post ??????

All the light bulbs in my house, (L.E.D.), were bought off ebay from China. Think they cost me less than 50p each, same bulbs in Asda, Tesco etc, are £5 each.

All the bulbs ( except headlight ), in my hackney cab, are also L.E.D. bought from China. These cost between 10p and 45p. In a garage that supplies taxi spares, they cost between £3 to £5. Ive sold hundreds to other drivers for a £1 each.

So i'm not as daft as most people think i am. :D:D:D

I did notice the grin. I think most items original in my home came from China like most homes. Know what you mean about LTI spares. I also changed most of mine on the TX4 especially the taxi roof light. The bulbs always blew there.
Gave that game up when i got fed up of the scum down here that had no respect for anyone.

I've recently bought some fly gear from China through EBay, 9/10 reel +spare spool £35, delivered, 11' 30/36 ton #7switch rod, 4 piece in cordura case £60 delivered, 6 neoprene reel cases, from Malaysia £14 delivered, some excellent Rapala copies £1e@ delivered. All are excellent quality.
The reel and spool would probably have cost £80+ here, the closest Shakespeare equivalent to the rod weighs almost 2oz more, costs aboutb £70, nearest equivalent would be £150+.
Got my eye on a 12 BB fixed spool for about £25, fantastic reviews.
If you're not a brand tart there's some fantastic gear out there for very little money.
As an aside, buoyed up with the great fishing gear experience, I took the plunge and bought 2 mattresses for £160, having checked out reviews, absolutely fantastic. Arrived in 3 days, would have cost around £800 here.
Tip, it's easier to check reviews on Amazon than EBay, then choose your supplier.

Back