• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chasing tench since lockdown.

Been stuck on 9.12 for years!!!

11 today. They stopped feeding at 12.30
20200526_112136.jpg
20200526_170334.jpg

If you realy want a 10lb tench i belive the linear complex has a very good head of 10lb + tench due to the amount of bait the carp lads use

Yes. But painfully busy by all accounts.
It does get busy never been but heard the tails of how busy it gets was thinking of having a go early spring mid week to go have a go for them but dont know if i could cope with the rat race its whats realy turning me of carp fishing to many idiots all the gear and no idea fishing etiquette is fastly becoming extinct

Well my session from Tues pm to Weds pm was a damp squib...not a single tench bite, although a couple of fish rolled in my swim at dawn. Come mid-morning I started to suspect they had something else on their minds, which was confirmed by the trashing about in the shallows which started around lunchtime and picked-up through the afternoon. Spent the best part of the afternoon tree climbing and watching proceeding’s, and pleased to see some big girls which will be more than worth targeting in a few weeks time when they are back on it.

Interestingly it is usually the case on this water that they spawn at different times, with there usually being around 3 spawning events. Yet it seems that even the tench that aren’t spawning don’t seem to get their heads down and feed. This is the first year I can recall seeing tench spawning before the carp on this water.

Anyway, a single hookbait cast at a showing carp (18lb) saved me going home with with the old blankety-blank cheque book and pen...

Had planned to fish tomorrow am till Sat am, but instead I think I’ll have an have a few hours watching a float on the farm pond I discovered last season, trying to suss out what might be in there.

At least you never blanked going to have ago later tonight and hope there not spawning with the pit im fishing being big there normaly a bit slower but with this weather it wont be long seen the carp grouping and cruising on the top not long now me thinks

Yeah deeper gravel pits usually see the tench spawn later, the mere I’m fishing isn’t that deep, maybe 15ft in the deepest areas, but a lot of it less than 6ft, with shallow margins around all of it before you hit the shelf.

This is a rake I made last year, only weighs a couple of pounds, I can lob it 20yds on a good throw. I find it one of the most valuable bits of kit I have got
Takes 10 mins to rake a peg 4 yds wide and a good 15yds out. No matter where I'm fishing it goes in, Tench are so inquisitive. Over the top with dead reds particles etc. They are generally onnit like a rash.20200528_110844.jpg
20200528_110844.jpg

Raking out swims also very effective for crucians. I've got one of Jake's Rakes which I purchased on the way up to Loch Naw a few years back. Does the job well.

Raking on some deep silty areas can be counterproductive as it can stir up anaerobic sediments which are the kiss of death.

All the clubs in my area stuff their waters with carp and anglers as myself, who love tench, cruscians, rudd, perch ect are pushed onto the smaller lakes/ponds. But I have a glimmer of hope, as there's a very large and old private estate lake that I've put in an official application to fish. I am awaiting the arrival for a letter of invitation to join. An interview with the gamekeeper will follow. Fingers and toes are crossed. :)

I never thought I'd see a tench over 7lb in my part of the world. I suspect that reappraising my initial 6lb target to 7lb was pretty reasonable. Having my hand forced to up it to 8lb is probably a bridge too far, at least for a year or two.

7lb 15oz.
414442137.jpg

414442138.jpg

I never thought I'd see a tench over 7lb in my part of the world. I suspect that reappraising my initial 6lb target to 7lb was pretty reasonable. Having my hand forced to up it to 8lb is probably a bridge too far, at least for a year or two.

7lb 15oz.
414442137.jpg

414442138.jpg

Chunky monkey! Get in there Chris!

That's a massive tench for North Yorks. All factors considered that's every bit as good as a southern double.

Beautiful fish Chris, I bet she gave you a good scrap !
I'm still one ounce short of a six, though the water I fish has produced 8's to the carp boys.

Beautiful fish Chris, I bet she gave you a good scrap !
I'm still one ounce short of a six, though the water I fish has produced 8's to the carp boys.

Every single tench water I've ever fished Mark has always seen the carp anglers catch a bigger stamp of tench than any of the dedicated tench anglers have...I've had carp anglers tell me all about the accidental 8's. 9's and 10's they have had during the night, it gets a bit soul-destroying...but then you realise the anglers reporting the 9's and 10's aren't actually weighing them..

Back