• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chasing elusive river carp

Mark Mole

Is anyone on this site actively fishing for river carp from the warks Avon.Have had some success with smaller carp but not as yet anything special.Just wanted to know if anyone else is barmy enough to be pursuing that elusive river twenty.Regards Mark

Hi Mark. Only just seen this post as I've been busy ..... um River Carping.!!

I don't fish the Wavon but would expect the fish stock to be very similar to the Lower Severn following the 2007 flood.

Stick with it mate, a 20 is a very realistic achievable target. There will be plenty of them

The only advice I can offer is :-

Try all visually obvious features - don't give up on them after just 1 or 2 visits but try at different times of year.

Fish as many different spots as you can, some are definitely liked more than others to the nomadic River Carp.

Have enough bait with you so that if you catch you can keep it going in. I've found that these fish often travel in groups. You need to hold them when they arrive.

Otherwise, all things being equal, I find heavily tree lined sections better than barren open banks.

Oh and finally I've had most fish this season in daylight - night fishing isn't a necessity

Let us know how you get on, but if you get a 30 keep it to yourself ;)

Steve

Steve,Joe thanks for the sound advice.I have located a couple of stretches where I have recently caught carp up to 16lb,all superb mint little fish.I suppose I've got to play the numbers game If I want that biggie,not that it should matter,but that's how it gets you doesn't it

The BAA grimley stretch of the Severn holds plenty I believe, think they come out more often than the barbel.

Steve,Joe thanks for the sound advice.I have located a couple of stretches where I have recently caught carp up to 16lb,all superb mint little fish.I suppose I've got to play the numbers game If I want that biggie,not that it should matter,but that's how it gets you doesn't it

Sounds like you're on the right track already Mark, so it'll only be a matter of time.

Sounds like you're on the right track already Mark, so it'll only be a matter of time.

Hopefully Steve fingers crossed.By the way thats a nice zander you are holding,which is also on my hit list,a double figure from running water that is.Will wait a couple of months yet though.

As it happens I'll be starting my 2014/15 Zed campaign this week Mark - So mixing up my fishing between them and the River Carp. Looking forward to it :)

Back