• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Charity money raised over the last year...

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

As most of you will know, new (or existing) members can contribute to our nominated charities through the BFW Shop.

The 6th January is the anniversary of the 'new' forum being live so I've tallied up the money we've collected. Over the past twelve months I'm pleased to say that we've collected £335 that will be split between Cancer Research and Macmillan Nurses.

As usual BFW absorb the costs of processing the charity donations. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

Regards,

Andy F

Great stuff Andy, some may think 300 odd quid aint much to shout about but
we both know 300 can bring lots of happiness to toddlers in homes or institutions, or can buy the old folk ect a couple of tvs
Great stuff mate:):):):)

Yes i agree with John, well done Andy! at the end of the day every penny counts....:)

Well Done Andy and the team and all who contributed. The monies raised for charity by BFW over the years must run into a couple of thousand.

Well Done Andy and the team and all who contributed. The monies raised for charity by BFW over the years must run into a couple of thousand.

I'd say its possibly more than a couple of thousand G.

Deans one this summer raised £1000 alone.....

Its brilliant when a few mates can get together and fish, with the added bonus of raising money for charity, regardless of the amount.....

Steve

It is much lower than the previous year, but to fair the influx of new members has obviously slowed down (we're currently at 1487 individual registered members).

As mentioned above, with the charity fish-in money we're collectively doing a pretty good job on the fund raising side, especially in the current financial climate.

Cheers,

Andy F

Andy, there should be a yearly membership charge....

That's weird, I thought I'd just replied to this!

I've always hoped that the income from the shop and advertising would be enough to keep the site going. I think the more barriers I put in place, the less popular the site will become, which is bad for everyone.

I'm generally against a yearly membership fee, but I do wish more people would use the shop throughout the season...

Cheers,

Andy

I cant see that Andy, its a brilliant barbel site with mostly friendly helpful members, im sure that any member serious about their barbel angling and wishing to communicate and pick up tips and idea's from like minded people would not mind paying a small membership fee....Also if there are still any undesirables on the site it may deter them........Thats my thoughts anyhow:)

Off the wall idea, but how about a BFW 'ebay-type' section, where members can put up unwanted items of kit, for either a fixed price or auction , and all the money goes to the BFW charities.

I'm not thinking 'a day on the kennet with the Silver fox - £150' but more in terms of, 'Fox stalker chair, used but still serviceable, minimum price £15'

If all the money was paid into a single paypal account and everyone understood it was for 'charideee' it might mount up over the year. I can think of at least 1 rod and reel I'd be happy to let go of. If everyone on BFW did the same with say a tenners worth of kit???

Am I talking b******s???

I Dont think so john if it raises some welcome cash...........Just to point out though that a day on the kennet with foxy now is only £25 with food and bait included:eek: Sorry Graham:)

Off the wall idea, but how about a BFW 'ebay-type' section, where members can put up unwanted items of kit, for either a fixed price or auction , and all the money goes to the BFW charities.

I'm not thinking 'a day on the kennet with the Silver fox - £150' but more in terms of, 'Fox stalker chair, used but still serviceable, minimum price £15'

If all the money was paid into a single paypal account and everyone understood it was for 'charideee' it might mount up over the year. I can think of at least 1 rod and reel I'd be happy to let go of. If everyone on BFW did the same with say a tenners worth of kit???

Am I talking b******s???

John, i started a very similar thing on a fishing site about 5 years ago, it was to help a disabled fishing charity. It was a huge success ( in my eyes anyway ), raising a few hundred pounds from quite a small membership.
Great idea. :)

Back