• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Changing the bearings on a J W Young centrepin?

Neil Blood

Has anyone ever attempted this? The bearings on my Purist 2031 CL, have become noisy, so thought I’d try and change them myself, by following these instructions:

Problem is, I‘m failing at the first hurdle, as I can‘t remove the circlip, using circlip pliers.

Has anyone ever attempted this? The bearings on my Purist 2031 CL, have become noisy, so thought I’d try and change them myself, by following these instructions:

Problem is, I‘m failing at the first hurdle, as I can‘t remove the circlip, using circlip pliers.
Hi Neil. I have successfully replaced the bearings in several Youngs centrepins. Using external circlip pliers the circlip retaining the toothed ratchet wheel is normally removed quite easily. I fit hybrid ceramic bearings to my reels and I feel that they transform their performance. Normally it’s a case of accurately measuring the original bearings in order to order replacements, with the popular reels such as your Purist, the correct bearings are listed on the “bay”. I have no connection or interest in this business but have great help and service from him. If you do a bay search for Youngs Centrepin reels Ceramic bearings you should see him listed as “reel bearings”. If you go for it, good luck, it’s very satisfying to have them spinning freely and silentl.

Hi Neil. I have successfully replaced the bearings in several Youngs centrepins. Using external circlip pliers the circlip retaining the toothed ratchet wheel is normally removed quite easily. I fit hybrid ceramic bearings to my reels and I feel that they transform their performance. Normally it’s a case of accurately measuring the original bearings in order to order replacements, with the popular reels such as your Purist, the correct bearings are listed on the “bay”. I have no connection or interest in this business but have great help and service from him. If you do a bay search for Youngs Centrepin reels Ceramic bearings you should see him listed as “reel bearings”. If you go for it, good luck, it’s very satisfying to have them spinning freely and silentl.
Thanks Kevin, I’ve since managed to remove the circlip, although new circlip now required, which isn’t a big deal 👍🏻.

Last edited:
Kevin,
Am I right in saying that there is an inner and outer bearing which are different sizes on the CL? I’m told that the outer bearing is easily done but the inner one a bit more challenging ? Nathan’s illustration that Neil has shown show’s same size on the Bob James reel...?
regards
Bill

There are two bearings, I got the outer bearing out really easy. I’m struggling with the inner bearing as you need to remove the small tension screw on the other side of the spool, but the head slot is damaged, so I can’t get a screwdriver into it 😬🙄

I may see if Mill Tackle can sort it for me now?

There are two bearings, I got the outer bearing out really easy. I’m struggling with the inner bearing as you need to remove the small tension screw on the other side of the spool, but the head slot is damaged, so I can’t get a screwdriver into it 😬🙄

For future reference Neil I am happy to do little jobs like these. I’ve done the odd repair for people on here which so far have all gone successfully. If you want me to look at your pin and see if I can remove that screw for you just give me a holler.

Cheers Neil 👍

For future reference Neil I am happy to do little jobs like these. I’ve done the odd repair for people on here which so far have all gone successfully. If you want me to look at your pin and see if I can remove that screw for you just give me a hollow.
Thanks for that, but I’ve just managed to remove the small screw 👍🏻

Thanks for that, but I’ve just managed to remove the small screw 👍🏻
Bill and Neil. I confess that I haven’t done the bearings on a Purist but several BJ’s and some TFG Classics. On the BJ’s both inner and outer bearings are the same size. To remove the outer bearing(furthest from backplate) I’ve not removed the end float screw but worked from the other side. I’ve fashioned a long tool, imagine a long Allen key with the short arm cut very short. I insert this through the inner race, and gradually pull the bearing out. No doubt others have found different methods.

The saga continues...... removing the small screw made no difference, I just couldn't shift the inner bearing from either side. By luck my Pental P207 mechanical pencil, came to the rescue. The metal cover over the rubber on the end of the pencil, was a tight fit inside the outer bearing, so I shoved it down, into the inner bearing and pulled it out with some small pliers 🥳

Next to find source some bearings 👍

Does anyone know what bearings to buy for a JW Youngs John Wilson Heritage y2000 and a BJ Super lightweight?

I like the sound of the hybrid ceramic bearings mentioned above @Kevin Copping

Links appreciated if possible. Many thanks.

Does anyone know what bearings to buy for a JW Youngs John Wilson Heritage y2000 and a BJ Super lightweight?

I like the sound of the hybrid ceramic bearings mentioned above @Kevin Copping

Links appreciated if possible. Many thanks.
I believe the John Wilson heritage uses the same bearings as Purist. And BJ super lightweight is same as Bob James.

Hi All,

Ok I have extracted the bearings from my Young's pin a slightly differently way to the article but thought I would share if anyone wants to have a go.
I didn't need to remove gear as the bearings on my reel are only held in place with a slotted threaded ring and I also found it easier to place the spool on a piece of wood with a couple of holes drilled for the handles to get the ring to unscrew.
To remove the second bearing I took an old 3mm diameter cheap screwdriver hack sawed the end off and 2mm back from the now blunt tip filed in a tapered groove and then it was just a case of gently pulling it up once the lip was over the edge of the bearing.
I my case both bearings were the same size at 1/4" x 1/2" x 3/16" sometimes referenced as R188 type C which are commonly used in fidget spinners which did make me smile.
Hope this helps.

Mine had to go to Gary Mills, as mentioned the circlip broke on removal and despite buying the correct size circlip along with various circlip pliers, I could not get a new clip on. The gap where it fits was way too narrow!

The pin in a 2031CL so guess it depends on the model?

Mine had to go to Gary Mills, as mentioned the circlip broke on removal and despite buying the correct size circlip along with various circlip pliers, I could not get a new clip on. The gap where it fits was way too narrow!

The pin in a 2031CL so guess it depends on the model?
It was probably a very high tolerance slot for the cir clip to re locate into so to prevent excess play. They are a pain to get em back in when they are like that.

Back