• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chairs

Mike Berridge

I’ve just destroyed my 2nd Korum Aeronium in 3 years this last one only lasted just over a year.

IMG-20220923-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20220923-WA0015.jpg

I’m a big guy 19st so any thoughts on a new chair?

I did have a big daddy lasted 2 years but I was 22st then but they are so heavy.
It must have the bracing bar at the front, and arms, with recline if possible.

Yes, JRC chairs are built like a tank. I have a Relaxa Recliner for when I’m fishing not too far from the vehicle. The drawback, of course, is that they’re heavy.

For the river and longer walks from the vehicle I use a Fox dura lite but is not a chair that will tolerate nineteen stone for too long.

Wow those aeronium chairs really are total junk.
The way that front bar has just torn in half suggests to me it goes very very brittle around the heat effected zone.

I’m convinced this is a 7000 grade aluminum.
I’d be dropping that aeronium crap like a bad habit if I was mr Korum

I wasn't implying they weren't strong. They are, immensely. Additional arms and padding obviously add weight. It's surely better to add weight to a light chair than a heavy steel framed one?
It was only the fabric giving out on my 25yr old one that made me change it. It's now been recycled as a gift to a neighbour. Keen angler, it'll probably see him out.

Last edited:
I have a fuller figure but have to say I’m on my 3rd season with a Nash Ultralight indulgence and zero complaints
Only criticism is the cam fittings can spring open when packing the chair legs away but no big deal
Incredibly light and like the carry strap and Velcro straps as I can stuff mats, flasks, jackets etc in the chair for extra storage and it never opens up
And I use it a lot as I pike fish all through winter and that is a lot of sitting !

Wow those aeronium chairs really are total junk.
The way that front bar has just torn in half suggests to me it goes very very brittle around the heat effected zone.

I’m convinced this is a 7000 grade aluminum.
I’d be dropping that aeronium crap like a bad habit if I was mr Korum
Some quite expensive centerpins announced by Thomas Turner made of the same stuff, I think. Have a look.
Unusual design with no drain holes.
Look lovely and with braid it could work?

I have a fuller figure but have to say I’m on my 3rd season with a Nash Ultralight indulgence and zero complaints
Only criticism is the cam fittings can spring open when packing the chair legs away but no big deal
Incredibly light and like the carry strap and Velcro straps as I can stuff mats, flasks, jackets etc in the chair for extra storage and it never opens up
And I use it a lot as I pike fish all through winter and that is a lot of sitting !
Had mine for about 4 years, and like you said put my jacket in it and so light, the carry strap is ideal, cant fault it

Same, very light and comfortable, although I’m about 11 stone so it doesn’t need to be as robust

I use it for carrying all my gear as well - jacket unhooking mat and small tackle box and bait

Thanks for all your insight and help. I’ve looked at the R3 and at 7kgs it’s a tad on the heavy side. Has anyone any thoughts or have a Fox Duralite XL?

I'm 20st and I've had a middy 30plus chair for at least 10 years. It's spot on ,long adjustable legs and can be used with just the front feet for very steep banks. Not the lightest but not to heavy. Not sure whether they still sell it though

I have a Korum Aeronium and found no issues with it although I am a svelte nudging 13 stone. The only issue I have is the legs even when extended are not long enough for some of the swims that I have fished. Just taken a look at the Nash Ultralight indulgence with legs that extend to 39 Cms will have to measure the Aeronium legs when extended, I am fairly sure they are not that long.

I decided to treat myself this year to a Solar SP C Tech chair, for my more stationary, and winter trips and have been very happy with it. I have a range of lightweight chairs, but none i would class as comfy, so this filled a gap.

Heavy, yes. Well made, also yes. Not by any means ideal for steep and vastly sloping banks, but i didn't need it for that.

I have an Aeronium recliner, and I'm 16st, or thereabouts. On it's second season and seems fine. Light and comfortable.

Back