• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Century Pulse Tony Miles 11ft 6inch, 1.25lb tc Chub Rod

Peter Hayes

£180. Payment via Paypal in advance of collection, Lowestoft, Suffolk, or cash on collection. Will post at buyers cost

Up for sale is a Century Pulse Tony Miles 11ft 6inch 1.25lb tc Chub rod. Anyone who knows anything about rods will know that Century make some of the finest quality rods in the world.
These rods hardly ever come up for sale and are highly prized by collectors. But this is not just any old rod.......

This rod was custom made by Century for Alan Brown of Norwich. The rods bears his name just before the handle (please see pictures). Alan used this rod to catch barbel from his local river Wensum including a fish of 18lb+ (at that time a river record). Alan later went on to become a baliff at various local lakes around the Norwich area. Later on Alan sold this rod to another angler who also used it to catch barbel from the Wensum with fish to 14lb+, who then sold it on to me.

Although the rod has power to spare it isn’t a tent prop (as some rods undoubtedly are) in fact it is a surprisingly slim blank that tapers away at the tip to give it a reasonably soft action where it matters. The power is where it should be – in the middle and butt section. This is a very good-looking rod in great condition with a dark green satin finish, full cork handle with Fuji screw winch reel fitting, and Fuji rings.

The rod comes with a 4 x overfit quiver tips. They are a good fit and provide the rod with the essential bite indicator that most chub fishing situations demand. All quiver tips have a fly ring whipped close to the end to provide an attachment for a betalight when night fishing. You will also notice another design feature of the quiver tips is that they feature larger rings than normal tips. They were designed like this to stop weed and other debris clogging them easily. Originally this rod had only two quiver tips with it but after I contacted Century the managed to find some of the carbon overfit sections and two more tips in the back of a dusty store room. I had these made at a local tackle shop and fit brilliantly. The two original tips are white in colour while the newer tips from Century are in black.
The tips will come in a Double T float/tube which also a hard to find item.
For those who prefer to fish without a quivertip, or when the water is running fast, you simply replace the quivertip with an overfit tip ring. Two of these are provided with the rod (one is a straight overfit tip ring and the other is the same except is has a fly ring attached for a betalight. Please refer to pictures).

This rod comes in plain green rod sleeve as supplied with all the Century Pulse rod range.

IMG_1212.JPGIMG_1215.JPGIMG_1216.JPGIMG_1218.JPGIMG_1219.JPGIMG_1220.JPGIMG_1221.JPGIMG_1222.JPGIMG_1223.JPGIMG_1226.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Chris ,
Can you tell me which blank the New Dawn rod was built on please ?
Tbf, I haven't a clue, I'll grab it later and post a picture or two up. It was my first true barbel rod. Got a feeling the blank is green, with a 1.5 TC. My previous tool being the Diawa Heavy Feeder (super rod, I still have).

Tbf, I haven't a clue, I'll grab it later and post a picture or two up. It was my first true barbel rod. Got a feeling the blank is green, with a 1.5 TC. My previous tool being the Diawa Heavy Feeder (super rod, I still have).
Cheers Chris,
I have one that belonged to Tony Miles . Bought it from him years ago at the Barbel Society event . Still use it all the time but it only has the words New Dawn on it . I imagine it’s about a 1.5 T.C .

Back