• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

centrpin help

Jerry Gleeson

hi all
i decided to clean my okuma sheffield and regrease it as it had got sand in side it, now everything went back as it came off even triple checked against the instructions and parts leaflet, but on realing forward the real clicks away smoothly but on reverse the ratchet is no where near as loud and is much slacker anybody any idea why?
cheers
jerry

yes before anybody says its, i should of left it alone :p:D

Ratchet pawl (the little triangular shaped thing that clicks in the toothed circular wheel) back to front?

I do hope, Jerry, that when you say you re-greased the bearings that you actually meant re-oiled. Don't own any Okumas but if they are like other ball-raced 'pins then it should definitly be oil. You may be able to use grease on the ratchet, though I still think oil would be better.

Last edited:
Ratchet pawl (the little triangular shaped thing that clicks in the toothed circular wheel) back to front?

I do hope, Jerry, that when you say you re-greased the bearings that you actually meant re-oiled. Don't own any Okumas but if they are like other ball-raced 'pins then it should definitly be oil. You may be able to use grease on the ratchet, though I still think oil would be better.

hi haydn
i didnt take any of that off, all i did was undo 2 screws on the front which removed the front plate and removed the main wheel, washed all the sand out and regreased the bearings as that was whats was on them, nothing fell off off and nothing else was removed but the ratchet is now alot slacker and quieter.
cheers
jerry

hi mate possibly the greese has just dulled the sound try washing i out with some wd 40 then try it or possible the spring has been bent to make it slack in one direction if like you said youve not dismantled anything else i wouldnt know mate hope this help and good luck for the coming season pete.

a few usual suspects

is the spool seated properly (fully down) ?

was the ratchet spring removed ? (refitted ,locted correctly)

has the centre screw still got its tiny '0' ring in place ? this tiny '0' ring ,if missing can cause problems .

is the ratchet knob in the correct position ? (on the right flat edge)

a few usual suspects

is the spool seated properly (fully down) ?

yes as far in as it will go
was the ratchet spring removed ? (refitted ,locted correctly)

no
has the centre screw still got its tiny '0' ring in place ? this tiny '0' ring ,if missing can cause problems .

doesnt have one just double checked its only the screw

is the ratchet knob in the correct position ? (on the right flat edge)

yes not been touched only the main wheel was removed

cheers
jerry

Jerry

I will take one of mine apart this evening and see what could be the problem.

Will post up in the morning.

Keith

Hello Gerry,
When tuning or cleaning a beach casting multiplier I take out the bearing and swill it around in a little petrol. This will remove any old oil, and dirt, allow the petrol to evaporate off then re oil with Rocket Fuel, but 3 in 1 would be fine on a pin.
ATB
Colin

Jez - you should have bought a 'real' pin :D

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful......

Last edited:
Back