• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepins: A Bit More Variety Needed?

And now for something completely different.
This is a genuine “ one off” , you will never be able to find another quite like it I think .
It is all hand crafted as below .
View attachment 28424

It was auctioned and raised somewhere in the region of five grand as I recall .

View attachment 28425
View attachment 28426
View attachment 28427
View attachment 28428

If I owned it , it would be in a glass case I think .
The maker is a very private self effacing chap , but very helpful IF you can find him .

Makes the likes of any other reelmaker take a look within themselves I would think .

Although it is a fully functioning “ true pin” how many would actually use it I wonder.

David

To my eyes that reel looks a bit "steam punk", more of a curiosity that a working reel.
I can't see why it has line lay pillars and a ventilated line lay?
The line guard would prevent any serious casting.

I'm not slagging the reel off, it looks realy nice and the builder must be a very talanted individual.
If I remember rightly, I think it was prolly the maker of this reel who made either it, or another one very similar and posted the reels making step by step on the (no longer in existance) Path by the water forum a few years back.

This is a genuine “ one off” , you will never be able to find another quite like it I think .
View attachment 28424

View attachment 28425
View attachment 28426
View attachment 28427
View attachment 28428

The maker is a very private self effacing chap , but very helpful IF you can find him .

Makes the likes of any other reelmaker take a look within themselves I would think .

Although it is a fully functioning “ true pin” how many would actually use it I wonder.

David
Skills …… 😳
Money no object and unbelievable craftsmanship to achieve something like that.

@Ian Woods
Genuine question here as you own a lot of pins from both manufacturers so I would say you would probably know.

Chris lythe/Mill tackle.
What is the reason for such a price difference between them?

AFAIK….and correct me if I’m wrong
They are both hand made true pins made from the same materials using the same equipment and methods

Is there any quality differences? I can’t see how there could be but I wouldn’t know as I don’t have either.

@Ian Woods
Genuine question here as you own a lot of pins from both manufacturers so I would say you would probably know.

Chris lythe/Mill tackle.
What is the reason for such a price difference between them?

AFAIK….and correct me if I’m wrong
They are both hand made true pins made from the same materials using the same equipment and methods

Is there any quality differences? I can’t see how there could be but I wouldn’t know as I don’t have either.

I don't mind airing my thoughts in private Richard, but i'd rather not on the public forum, i'd rather not risk upsetting anyone 😉👍.

That reel belongs to a friend of mine a man with far too many cabinets 😅😅

Dan makes a cracking reel out of British Columbia Canada
Can be found on FB

View attachment 28424

View attachment 28425
View attachment 28426
View attachment 28427
View attachment 28428

David
At a guess I'd say that is a Leszek Delag piece.

Wow!!!
He’s in a league of his own and I’ve never even heard of him.

Fred Crouch did it fairly successfully for a good few years (I still have a jet and a narrow drum trotter). It's more likely, however, that if any enterprising soul invested in the tools to produce such a reel it would be in the Garry Mills price bracket anyway.
I recently bought secondhand a Fred Crouch Match Aerial, one of the wide ones. I still paid a couple of hundred quid for it ( too much probably but I wanted one). Love it for legering ( though the ratchet isn't beefy enough for fishing in elevated flows even when the pawl is flipped round). Bit heavy for trotting. I use a Swallow or Stanton for that but yes, they're bearing reels.
Going off on a tangent, the Fred Crouch reel makes a slight grating noise when upright ( when the reel spool is resting on the pin). Doesn't affect the reels performance but whatever I try I can't stop it. Just a niggle.

I have been using pins for many years and been fortunate enough to buy some quality reels. I have two Lythe’s and the first was ordered for my fiftieth. I was forty eight and it was an eighteen month waiting list but I was hoping. I got it seven years later but I did not chase Chris as he is a very busy man and he only produces in batches before going back to his day works. My second came a few years ago after a similar wait. I have used Garry Mills reels before and they are good reels too. I have a Barbelcatcher and it is a well designed reel but again it was a limited edition. The big difference I noticed is that that on Lythe ‘ aerial’ style reels that every spoke and bar is screwed and not riveted which must be very labour intensive. There is also a much shorter waiting list for Mills tackle. If you want to wait a long while Chris will do a great reel but if you want one quicker then you will have buy from a dealer at a premium.
I also have a Carter Aerial Gem and it is a lovely reel to use. When I fish streams a four inch reel with an Avon rod I can trot or leger and have a great day out. I use other Aerials and I use them all on occasions.

I have nothing against bearing reels and
I think an underestimated reel is the Adcock Stanton. For bigger rivers it is a solid reel and the knurled edge does give an edge when playing fish.
Some of the Young's reels are good too and I have a couple

My reels are all used at times and I did not buy them to collect them. For those who like a bigger reel the Canadians make some really good looking reels for Steelhead fishing but I have enough at the moment.

An interesting topic, there are so many of us who enjoy using them; I for one have forgotten the last time I had a fixed-spool reel on my rods.
However, I am noticing a trend in the posts, that suggest many of us prefer the more costly end of the market. I am not suggesting there is anything wrong in this. But, I have several pins - both true pin and Bearing; all in use on a regular basis, however, apart from the two Dave Swallow, all the others are cheap and I believe do just as good a job than the top end reels.
So, my question is, do those of you who like to the top end, is it because you believe they function much better than the cheap workhorses. Or, is it because you believe that it is all do with the quality of build?
The cheaper reels I have are a couple of Grice and young "O,Dors"; owned from new circa 1973, a recently purchased pair of Rapidex and a Stanton also brought (Well a Christmas present) new in 1974. All still functioning as they should and the "O'Dors" would wake the dead on a "Three foot Twitch"😀

I have been using pins for many years and been fortunate enough to buy some quality reels. I have two Lythe’s and the first was ordered for my fiftieth. I was forty eight and it was an eighteen month waiting list but I was hoping. I got it seven years later but I did not chase Chris as he is a very busy man and he only produces in batches before going back to his day works. My second came a few years ago after a similar wait. I have used Garry Mills reels before and they are good reels too. I have a Barbelcatcher and it is a well designed reel but again it was a limited edition. The big difference I noticed is that that on Lythe ‘ aerial’ style reels that every spoke and bar is screwed and not riveted which must be very labour intensive. There is also a much shorter waiting list for Mills tackle. If you want to wait a long while Chris will do a great reel but if you want one quicker then you will have buy from a dealer at a premium.
I also have a Carter Aerial Gem and it is a lovely reel to use. When I fish streams a four inch reel with an Avon rod I can trot or leger and have a great day out. I use other Aerials and I use them all on occasions.

I have nothing against bearing reels and
I think an underestimated reel is the Adcock Stanton. For bigger rivers it is a solid reel and the knurled edge does give an edge when playing fish.
Some of the Young's reels are good too and I have a couple

My reels are all used at times and I did not buy them to collect them. For those who like a bigger reel the Canadians make some really good looking reels for Steelhead fishing but I have enough at the moment.
I agree about the Stanton Garry. The knurled edge makes a difference when playing fish, particularly when it's wet. The one I bought was sold as a stepped up version for steelhead fishing though I have never compared it with the standard so don't know what the differences are. I like the reel and, though I bought it for legering for Barbel, I mainly use it for trotting as I don't like the ratchet much.

This little beauty works as well as the best of the best, great for tortting, and suface fishing for carp .
7FA3A73C-A155-4E05-AD70-B32F59CDABB1.jpeg

Now here is the best bit.
Cost . £2.50 from a Car boot , although I did have to make a new reel foot as the one fitted had been damaged .
Its a Wide drum Speedia by the way. I like the way it proudly wears its battle scars .

I also have and use a Gypsy D’ Or, an Adcock Stanton, a Rolling ‘ Pin , a Rapidex and last but not least a Searcher wide drum Ariel.

I must admit the Ray Walton Rolling Pin is the only one purchased as new. It was a present as I will not pay for a new reel,myself ,
the others have all been used and probably abused before they arrived on my doorstep.
None were as cheap as the Speedia , all work very well indeed.

David

An interesting topic, there are so many of us who enjoy using them; I for one have forgotten the last time I had a fixed-spool reel on my rods.
However, I am noticing a trend in the posts, that suggest many of us prefer the more costly end of the market. I am not suggesting there is anything wrong in this. But, I have several pins - both true pin and Bearing; all in use on a regular basis, however, apart from the two Dave Swallow, all the others are cheap and I believe do just as good a job than the top end reels.
So, my question is, do those of you who like to the top end, is it because you believe they function much better than the cheap workhorses. Or, is it because you believe that it is all do with the quality of build?
The cheaper reels I have are a couple of Grice and young "O,Dors"; owned from new circa 1973, a recently purchased pair of Rapidex and a Stanton also brought (Well a Christmas present) new in 1974. All still functioning as they should and the "O'Dors" would wake the dead on a "Three foot Twitch"😀
Good question Paul. For me, buying a few handmade pins had far more to do with owning something that had been built with a high degree of craftsmanship and I imagine, passion. These reels are a fantastic expression of the art and there is just something quite special about them. As functioning tools I don’t believe they are materially better than other pins but perhaps someone with a more expert view than me might point to some features that are engineered with higher levels of precision.

The reel I use most is called “The Tradition”, made by a chap called Dave Beale based in Ringwood (assuming he still lives there). It’s a very good looking and robust reel. It also makes a fantastic noise.

I had an identical experience to another poster in relation to a Chris Lythe reel. Waited 7 years and it too was intended as a 50th birthday present. I only ever enquired as to progress on each annual anniversary of placing the order.

Made in Hungary

Back