• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin

Chris Jones

I know it's been asked before, which centrepin should I look to buy? The slight difference this time is that even the ubiquitous Okumas are over what I'd like to spend, think closer to fifty quid or less than a ton or more. I've no idea whether I'll like using a centrepin, I suspect not, so I'm not wanting to splash the cash. I'd also prefer to float (rivers and stillwaters) fish with one rather than legering for barbel with one. I'd rather not find out that I can't use them properly with a big angry barbel attached. However, something vesatile enough for any circumstance/method would be nice.

Any suggestions, folks?

Look on ebay.
Suggest Speedia, Speedia or Speedia. Should be in your price range for a used but serviceable one. Wide drum version a bit more expensive [if you can find one].

Mike

speedia's are great little reels if you get a good one ,e-bay is the place ,ok buying old secondhand reels is a bit of a gamble ,7/10 times pays off .

narrow drum with drag and a bit of paint ware ,looks ok

wide drum tatty but might be ok

these are at starting bids stage ,but you can expect most bidding action in the last few seconds ,unless someone waiting too snipe them loses their nerve and pops a early bid in ,

Last edited:
I bought an Okuma last season and its great for the Kennet/Loddon where I tend to fish no more that a couple of rod lenghts out,a big plus is at night when Im always nodding off ,a centre pin is the best bite alarm you can get !!! The other river I fish is the Wye and I always use a fixed spool probably because I cant Wallis cast.

Back