• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin with knurled edge?

Neil Blood

I’m currently a big Centrepin user and I’m considering investing in a Dave Swallow Mk II. One of the features is that the spool has a knurled edge and I’ve read is some quarters, that this can be particularly uncomfortable, when playing a good Barbel, which steams off on a powerful run.

Interested to hear thoughts from anyone who uses a pin with a knurled edge please?

I have a knurled edge swallow and have caught hundreds of barbel on it float fishing without any issues. But i do have old hard hands possibly complainers have 'Office hands'. The Relum pins i use for heavy hit and hold fishing also have a knurled edge. Last season two mid doubles gave me frightening fights (the rare type you never forget) without issue. I find the knurled edge helps me hold onto the spool without it slipping. My only issue with pins is when fishing off the bottom and a handle hits your thumb nail during an aggressive fight ,the knurled edge helps with the grip issue that stops that from happening

Last edited:
Neil, i would get your Mk11 swallow, I suspect any criticism might be by someone trying to drive the prices down of a fantastic reel

I’ve been using a Swallow for stalking carp (mainly low doubles) but hard fighting fish nonetheless and I like the knurled edge for the same reasons that Mark outlines...and my hands probably into the ‘office hands’ category. Two days of tenching and they start cracking and going sore.

This year I've started fishing exclusively 'off the top'. It took me a while to get used to it, but I love it now. I reckon it has a couple of definite advantages than fishing off the bottom. I've not got a pin with a knurled rim, but guess that it definitely wouldn't be a problem, especially if you're 'off the top'. Plus on a good run it'll file your fingernail nail down quite nicely:oops:

I have a Pete Reading Barbel Pin which I've used for several years and find the knurled edge really does help when playing fish, when it's cold and/or wet as it does provide extra grip to slow the spool. Mind you, having the drag set really tight also helps...

I have a Swallow MkII with knurled rim and love it. I find smooth edges cause more overheating of the hands. I have a manual job so no office hands.

Back