• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin starter

Ben Jennings

I fancy using a centrepin when the river is a little more float friendly. I've never used one before and am wondering what a good starter pin is? I've read about okuma sheffields and there the holland and wilkinson mentioned in the eBay thread, or possibly a tfg One. Im sure there are dozens of others. If you could point me in the direction of a good one then it would be much appreciated. Could I use one on a standard 13 foot float road?

Any help gratefully received.

Fox Bob James on e-bay for £165. very good for the money, lighter than the sheffield too despite having a bigger drum. A very good starter pin.

As Robert has already said, it all depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jeff

I have one of the marco cortessi pins that I would let you have for £30 posted

Very good value for money and unused

I don't see the logic in spending a shed full of coin on something that you may not get on with

Do a search for comments on the cortessi , you won't go wrong with one of them for a 'starter centre pin'

Okuma Sheffield,

1. Certainly light enough.

2. Good availability of parts that can be fitted easily yourself.

3. Spare spools that fit straight from the box, very-very free running.

3. Vastly better design than the "Ariel" style reels (I junked two Bob James reels in favour of the Okuma and that was before he was captured being a cheating currant!).

4. Made from alloy materials, Tougher and more durable than the cheaper aluminium Contasi / TFG / Dragon reels.

5. And if you don't get on with it, it will maintain a similar value to the purchase price.

Got Okuma Sheffield and its super smooth and a dream to use , only issue I had was that my old Grice and Young matchmaker had a line guard and always had line coming off bottom of drum but tried that with the Okuma and had problems due to lack of guide so switched to line off top of drum , was a real pain to start with winding opposite way but all good now

For stillwater use & heavier floats on running water I use a Marco Cortesi & for lighter stick float work a Leeds 5 1/2" reel.
Both are fun to use & have the benefit of being cheap :)
I run the Leeds reel backwards so the line comes off the top of the spool which seems to suit lighter lines better.
Whatever reel you get, don't put too much line on to avoid bedding in.
Your 13' float rod will be fine imo.

Ben,
I have the Okuma aventa pro [the bronze one] a fantastic reel and very similar to the Sheffield and cheaper! Pm me my man and we can have chat!

To master a 'pin' takes time and patience, be prepared to 'lose' some time just getting used to the thing, and then sell it:p

I'm no expert , but the way got the basics was to use heavy line , I chose 12lb and simply attached a 2 oz lead

I'd seen a few demo videos on YouTube so went go the river to practice

Hi Keith,

Did you "junk" the Fox reels for some moral issue or based on performance?

I've got two which I use for mainly light trotting for roach/dace/grayling/trout, they probably get used a dozen times a year, and have had no issues as yet. One has 5lb and the other 3lb line. They are generally my first choice and I currently have 36 to choose from!

I have a Sheffield, a nice reel but heavy. One of the first I got on the advice of others. No issues other than the weight of it and the ratchet is a bit awkward I find, each to their own as ever!

Regards,

Jeff

36 pins to choose from ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best not to encourage these pin enthusiasts Robert, just talking about them will mean he will have to rush out and buy another one now, slobbering and drooling all over the counter, muttering 'my precious, my precious' :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Back