• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin sizes 3.5" or 4.5"?

Aaron Littlefield

Hello everyone,

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could offer some advice on 3.5" centrepins. All I've ever fished with has been 4.5" reels, so not sure when you would select a 3.5" and how this would affect your fishing style?

I'm assuming the operation is largely the same, however with the 3.5" I'm assuming you get less casting distance and retrieval rate is reduced. The reason I ask is because I've heard Speedia's and Trupin Trotters are 3.5" and are very popular, whereas alot of people always suggest to go for 4.5" where possible.

Do you think 3.5" is a bit too small for general 'do everyhing' fishing, and are more suitable on small rivers? Just curious as I've never used a centrepin of that size.

Thanks for any information

Regards

Aaron

Then again, I have fished all my life with 4-inch pins - with lead and with float - and now only own one 4.5-inch pin, the Sheffield I bought four years ago. 3.5-inch? A tad small for barbel work, I'd say, but nice for little rods, little rivers and roach and chub - occasionally, for "fishing in Lilliput"-type trips.

Aaron

I have 4.5" c'pins and they're just the right size. I have a 3.5" Truepin Trotter and it's nice, but a bit small for my liking. It would seem to make sense that a larger the diameter, 5" or even more" would aid trotting or more specifically the retrieval of tackle after a "long" trot, by batting the reel, but although these larger reels have been made, they seem a bit cumbersome and obviously heavier.

Obviously retrieval rate is less with the smaller diameter, but I don't see that casting distance would be any less. Cannot see that the size of river has any bearing on it, I use my 4.5" c'pins on a stretch of river where it's hardly 10ft across.

Sounds to me, Aaron, that you need to try using some reels and see what they feel like to you :)

paul4

On the other hand, it's the feel of your rod and reel in the hand when "fishing small" - why pack an elephant gun when going after rabbits...?

F.W.K. Wallis's very own "little roach reel" ... a 3.5-inch Improved Model Aerial, which I have stored in a far-off bunker somewhere. Here is a pic of a similar reel from a trader's site:

104aerial_ARL155_big.jpg

I fish with all sizes of pin from 3.5 up to 5.5 and Im more comfortable in my trotting on the rivers with 4". As paul says the 3.5" is a tad small for the barbel work but I enjoy fishing it on the many becks I have here in Yorkshire so is well suited for that type of work, and occassionally it gets a trip out for the Grayling on the Tees but thats about it, I prefer the 4" for most of my work
The main one is to get the balance right between your rod & the pin, this makes a lot of difference and makes the fishing more pleasurable.

retrieval rates are limited by the dia of the drum face / linelay not the dia of the spool (some reels are very disproportionate) and only really apply too unlaiden tackle .

you pick a reel thats going too suite the fishing you intend too do ,I match the size of reel too the size of river i'm fishing (horses for courses) which means because of the veriety of rivers (50/50% big/tiny rivers) i have a sellection of reels from 3½" - 6" some more suitable too ledgering others floatfishing ,some better suited too slow rivers some better for faster rivers and some reels only suitable for stillwaters.

3½" - 4" reels do fit most peoples hands better than 4½" or bigger reels do ,but 4½" is the best compromise & practical size (hence most common size used) for general centrepins

i have a true trotter reel and its the best gudgeon / tiddler reel ever ,i love using mine on small rivers .casting distance isn't affected by size (its down too how free running the reel is & weight cast) as i cant cast any further with a 5" reel than i can with a 3½" reel with the same tackle .

i do however only have one reel i don't have a perpose for (as yet) and thats a marco contesi (dragoncarp / x-pin) because it was a birthday pressent ,of my brother so i have too keep it ,as he comes fishing with me sometimes .they're perfectly good reels i just don't like reels with open backs ,but i guess it'll end up as a loaner or sharing duties with my origanal 4" stanton (pre-adcock) barbel fishing on the erewash.

theres just something nice about using the right reel for the right job it just ads too the experiance

as Steven says, the reel, and of course the rest of the tackle has to suit the species and the place your fishing for it, again i use vintage pins like the 3 3/4" Allcocks Aerial on rods like my wizard through to a wide drum spedia on a Fred j Taylor roach rod, to purist II 4 1/2" and b james 2080 on more modern rods. about a dozen or so ranging from 3 3/4" to just over 6" and including probably my least favorite centerpin, the j w young trudex 5 1/2" that's too heavy to trot anything but the largest avons in heavy flows even with my best efforts to improve it:( great retriev rate though;)

from all these pins, true and bearing i have worked out 'my perfect pin design if i had to only ever have one

4 1/4" dia x 1" wide lightweight spool turned from solid billet alloy with solid back plate and lever operated ratchet at the front top of the back plate, a true pin not bearings and no line guard. that's today's one anyway

trouble is, the more i get the more i change my mind:D:D:D

best to get what you can afford and see for your self;)

retrieval rates are limited by the dia of the drum face / linelay not the dia of the spool (some reels are very disproportionate) and only really apply too unlaiden tackle .

Indeed. I've just been looking at a few of my 'pins tonight and I have one that rarely gets used, an Allcocks C815 aerial. The reason it hardly gets used is that despite being a 4" diameter spool, the pins that the line lays onto are set so far into the drum that line retrieval is ridiculously slow. I do have the original cork arbours which shallow up the drum somewhat, but for some reason I don't like them on the reel. However, contrast the C815 with the Fred Crouch Aerial that I also have, on which the pins are, in my opinion, set somewhat too far out to the edge of the drum, this can cause a few problems with line spilling of the spool. Out of the two the Allcocks has a far more robust and precise feel to it but I'd choose the Crouchy just on account of the line retrieval.

If Speedia had made a reel of 4.5" diameter, and stuck the handles a bit further out on the drum, then there would be no better all rounder, in my opinion. I have a narrow and a wide and both are much loved. The narrow for it's silky smooth, almost defying-the-laws-of-physics frictionless rotation, which makes it pretty much unbeatable for sending a stick float through with. The wide is my medium sized river ledgering reel and with it's ratchet tensioner, bare-metal polished finish, rim mounted check and all round loveliness makes it my favourite out of the lot.

Last edited:
Reel dimensions make little difference to casting distance once you have got use to the reel. Although For me the smaller dimensions are lighter and feel more balanced on the rod, whilst a 4"+ diameter pin offers a noticably quicker (and far nicer) retrieve.
Narrow drums again just feel better in use whilst wider drums from about 7/8 give better line lay and slightly easier casting.

Reel choice is always a compromise between dimensions. I've also got a few to choose from so usually pick one to suit the occasion and mood. Current favourites are a 4.5 Kingpin for light trotting and a 30's 4" Aerial (with lever rachet) or sometimes a 'rolling pin' for heavier stuff.

That said mostly the choice is more about whats going on in my head rather than the river. The differences really are quite small.

That said mostly the choice is more about whats going on in my head rather than the river. The differences really are quite small.

Agree with that also. For me the biggest determining factor is what line I need. All four of my c'pins are loaded with different breaking strains and line colours. Which ever line is most appropriate determines which reel I use.

I,m a centrepin newbie, and i notice a lot of the regular pin users prefer a solid back. i,ve just bought a couple of the cortesi pins which are open back. as i,ve yet to find the best option of holding the rod/reel, i find the open back handy, as i can hook a finger in giving me a firmer grip on both.

just bought a couple of the cortesi pins which are open back. as i,ve yet to find the best option of holding the rod/reel, i find the open back handy, as i can hook a finger in giving me a firmer grip on both.

Just watch that if you get a violent bite - it can act as a very efficient finger cutter!

I'd agree with my namesake above, not a good idea to stick fingers in the back, or in the front for that matter, it could result in much swearing!

All too easy to end up with a fingernail ripped off. :eek:

It's not so bad when you gain some sort of control, but I wouldn't even recommend it then.

Palming the spool with your free hand is the best option imo...and/or using the handles in the normal way.

I'd recommend getting a few silvers under your belt first, so as to get used to handling a pin if you are a first timer?

It is quite a shock the first time a pin goes into full screaming 'blur' mode! I've had guys totally freeze in panic and I've had to grab the rod and take control before handing the rod back. Come to think of it...I've had to do the same with quite a few when they've been using a fixed spool too!! :D

All good fun tho!:D

Daz.

Still have an achey righthand middle-finger joint from the day an 18lb salmon took off for the sea in a full flood in September 1974, spinning the Speedia Wide Drum so fast that,when I put a hand too near it, a handle hit said finger, opened up the knuckle spectacularly (instant bloodbath) and flew off (the handle) onto the bank, to be picked up by a pal was with me, following me down the river, ready to wield a big landing net. Still have the finger, still have the reel (repaired by Garry Mills a few years ago, since had a 16.25-pound barb).

Thanks for all the details guys - really helpful!

Sorry to hear about your finger Paul *ouch* sounds like a war wound alright! Touch wood other than the odd hook sticking into my fingers I've not done bad - although as a boy, some clot of an angler didn't look behind her when casting and I had the hook and bait scratch right across my face...ignorant cow didn't even apologise. Could have lost an eye...

I would think that a 3.5inch would be a bit on the small side for barbel fishing, but saying that, Ray Walton is a master with his Rolling Pin Reel, although his reel's are a bit bigger, i seem to struggle a bit when it comes to the retreive.
http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/walton.html
4.5inch makes all the difference.
Come on Ray, make a bigger one.
Brian.

Thanks for all the details guys - really helpful!

Sorry to hear about your finger Paul *ouch* sounds like a war wound alright! Touch wood other than the odd hook sticking into my fingers I've not done bad - although as a boy, some clot of an angler didn't look behind her when casting and I had the hook and bait scratch right across my face...ignorant cow didn't even apologise. Could have lost an eye...

My cousin had his earlobe hooked by another relation, who was casting out into Ruislip Lido many years ago.

My cousin had his earlobe hooked by another relation, who was casting out into Ruislip Lido many years ago.

Hi Haydn,

I had many happy years fishing Ruislip Lido as a child and onwards. Fortunately, your relative was not around to hook my ear at that time :D (1950's to 70's)

Cheers, Dave.

Back