• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin protection

Bob Brookes

Hi,
Like most of us I like to keep my rods made up & ready to go. When I use fixed spool rods I use Nash reel on rod pouches in conjunction with tip protectors. This affords good protection to rod & reel, no problem.

Can anyone recommend a reel on rod pouch that fits a 41/4" 'pin that gives good protection for my Chris Lythe reel? I am guessing that the ones the fly fishermen use will be too small.

Thanks in anticipation,

Bob

always think maybe i'd buy these ,for my pins (large size)

'On-Rod' Fly Fishing Reel Case - Genuine Leather - Choice of Sizes | eBay

or perhaps reel bags like this one

Old chamois leather fishing reel pouch,case,pokey bag.Cord draw top | eBay

i do have a couple of these ,noname neopreane jobbies ,simular to the Wychwood ones

Neoprene Fly Reel Case - Choice of Sizes | eBay

and i have someting simular to these ,for when taking a choice of reels along

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Hardy Reel Case - Holds up to 3 fly fishing reels | eBay

or you could go for a standard padded reel case

Deluxe Padded Carp Coarse Sea Game Fishing Reel Case | eBay

Caimore pouches, cheap at £3.29 and last forever . The large sizes for salmon fly reels (9/10) fit even the largest of centre pins and will go over two and three piece rods acting as a rod band. Use them all the time.

Folks,
Thanks to all who replied, you certainly turned up a few that I hadn't picked up on my search.

I have now ordered a couple of neoprene ones similar to the Wychwood ones as highlighted by Steven. Since doing it I have seen the Caimore one that Pete recommended & I must say that I am tempted to get a couple of those. At that price it would be rude not to!
Thanks again,
Bob

the caimore/wichwood types are worth having a few spare (i've lost a few over the years) ,they also fit abu closed faced reel rather nicely ,you just need to slit the neropeane (sealing all edges with superglue) so the handle can pop out and they're perfect

Back