• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin Line

Lester Wolstenholme

Afternoon

for trotting with a pin what would people recommend for breaking strain , amount on spool and also floating line ?

Thanks in advance

Lester

Hi Lester,

I trotted a float for barbel for the very first time last Friday and had Daiwa Sensor (brown) in 6lb bs straight through to the hook (size 10 bearing a cube of meat). As luck would have it, I caught on the third run through. The line held out fine though, admittedly, the fish was only around 5lb. Lovely way to catch barbel (with a 'pin), however. :)

6lb Ultima Flo-cast to 5lb hooklength, 100m spool does for two 'pins. Only down side is that they recommend water temperature not less than 10c for this line though haven't put it to the test yet.

Lester

Suppose it depends on the river you fish and the size of fish you are liely to encounter ?

For me it's 8lb genesis majority of the time on the ribble (150mts gives 2 x spool fulls), it does what i need it to do ! It allows me to play small-medium fish quite hard and get them in fairly quick and it's reliable when a big un takes the bait ;)

I also use the spray floatant on the line with the last 10ft done in mulcin. Iv'e found if you do the whole lot in mulcin it 'can sometimes' restrict the flow of line off your pin.

Hope this helps

I use Preston Power Pro, two fill ups from 100 yd spool.

It floats quite well and is quite resilient for a modern pre stretched mono, it is also quite small in diameter, this is good because one of the bigger problems can be how the wind affects the line and this can often disturb your trot, particularly when fishing across to the far bank in a downstream wind, but for me the biggest advantage is that it "shoots" through the rings well.

Double strength can be ok when new but tends to hold a kink too easily.

If I were fishing a waggler I would use Maxima, but only for the waggler as it sinks well straight from the box and being thicker “grips†the water well when letting line out.

I also use the Preston power pro as a hook length; if I have 0.19 on the reel I use 0.17 as hooklength, i.e. the next breaking strain down from the one on the reel.
I use a hook length to ensure that I don’t leave loads of tackle hanging from trees etc if I mis cast and because I am constantly changing hook size for different baits and situations.

Tight lines

6lb Ultima Flo-cast to 5lb hooklength, 100m spool does for two 'pins. Only down side is that they recommend water temperature not less than 10c for this line though haven't put it to the test yet.

I used the very same line last winter and didn't like it's qualities in cold weather. It was brittle and frayed easily. Having said that, it picks up so well I have it on two of my 'pins in 5lb and 10lb for summer and early autumn fishing.

Dave

Silstar Matchteam gets my vote, in 7.9lb even the small silvers don't seem to be put off by it!

If it was still available, it would have to be Concept 2000.

Why discontinue excellent products :confused::confused:

I used the very same line last winter and didn't like it's qualities in cold weather. It was brittle and frayed easily. Having said that, it picks up so well I have it on two of my 'pins in 5lb and 10lb for summer and early autumn fishing.

Dave

Have to agree with you Dave, Ultima Flocast falls apart in the cold weather, I wrote to ultima about 2 years ago when I first bought it for the Grayling fishing and it fell to pieces, they came back with it is only suited to certain temperatures. I have used Berkley fireline crystal on all my pins for over 4 years and wouldnt go back to mono :D

i mostly use braid ,but if thats not allowed then its ultima flo-cast as its a excellent line too cast but has its limitations the really cold temps and its lowest b/s is 4lbs/5lbs ,if this is not suitable i use ultima gray mist floating line (no need for extra floatant)

my current braid is a newish one called PowerPro super slick 8 been testing it as a replacement to my main braid possibly ,very nice to cast and use .my main braid is fireline crystal and its been my centrepins since it first came out ,must be nearly 7 years or so .before that i used standard PowerPro another excellent line but a bit noisy going through some rod rings (thats why i switched to fireline ,as its less noisy) & why i've been testing PowerPro's superslick 8 ,as its claimed too be very quiet due too its multi fibre construction giving a really great round profile and smoothness.

i too use hooklinks ,i prefer shop brought hook-2-line ,as i'm too lazy to tie my own.

Well I used to have the line coming off the bottom of the reel but based on advice from Keith I changed to the top and tried it for the first time on the Wye a couple of weeks ago. I have to say I was shocked at how much better it was, it's just more tangle free as the line is so direct to the first eye. Also much better when the wind blows. I found changing to batting the spool backwards very easy so I am converted.

Have to agree with you Dave, Ultima Flocast falls apart in the cold weather, I wrote to ultima about 2 years ago when I first bought it for the Grayling fishing and it fell to pieces, they came back with it is only suited to certain temperatures. I have used Berkley fireline crystal on all my pins for over 4 years and wouldnt go back to mono :D

Stone the ruddy crows George, I know I fall to pieces nowadays in the cold weather....but I had no idea some fishing line does as well :eek:

:D

Cheers, Dave.

Ultima power plus in 6 or 8lb, I have used it for float fishing for barbel on the trent for 3 seasons now and cannot recommend it enough. Its quite thin, good stretch knots superbly and very forgiving.

ULTIMA POWER PLUS FISHING LINE - BULK SPOOL - 4oz | eBay

Ps not a pin user, just a bit restrictive for the Trent(trotting 3-4 rods out in 13 foot of water).

Jon

Does it make difference with the line coming off the top or bottom of the reel spool and why ?:confused:
Alan

Alan its what YOU prefer ;) I personally prefer the line to be coming off the top due to line control and ease of casting other advantages which i wont go into as others will argue otherwise.
My advice to you, try both ways and see what you prefer ;)

Stone the ruddy crows George, I know I fall to pieces nowadays in the cold weather....but I had no idea some fishing line does as well :eek:

:D

Cheers, Dave.

Ultima is a great line for summer but as soon as it gets cold forget it.

Interesting this one; I have my line coming off the bottom, as I just can't get used to turning clockwise when playing a fish or winding in. I tried off the top very briefly, so didn't notice any advantage casting. In fact, Wallis casting a float seems more natural with line coming off the bottom.

George has it right though; horses for courses. :)

Back