• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin help needed

Anthony Pearson

I have an Adcock Stanton 'batting' reel (which has no clutch). I can't separate the two halves of the reel despite removing the knurled friction knob on the front. I want to give it a proper clean, so any advice would be welcome.

It hasn't been used for a few of years and when it first saw daylight was not free-spinning. After a few days of regularly turning it the bearings loosened up. However it only spins for about 40 secs and sounds noisy. At high speed it's at its noisiest but intermittently (and whilst spinning) this sound reduces dramatically. I think there may be some dirt trapped but I'm open to suggestions on that.

Maybe the bearings are shot!

Well, I've just had it under the tap and dried it out. Two drops of 'Singer oil' and it's now up to 60 secs. Still haven't been able to separate the two pieces yet and it's still not running quietly.

Try hot (or even boiling) water mainly on one of the pieces then try to separate (use a cloth or gloves obviously to avoid burning your hands)

Sounds like the shaft is stuck/seized to the inside part of the bearing and though it rotates its only the outer side of the bearing that does so.You could try soaking in wd40 ( 1st option better)or malt vinegar( 2nd option cheaper) to get off what is probably corrosion on the shaft.You will then have to either clean the bearings or replace.There is a seller on Ebay that sells bearings and they would be an upgrade on the standard.If you do not get it loose eventually it could cause serious problems like the shaft getting worn and creating wobble or seizing

Thanks for the suggestions. Brian, I tried the hot water without success but it has done something. It now spins for 110 secs!
Mark, when you say soak, you do mean virtually immerse don't you?

Hi Anthony,
My advise is DONT use wd40 because it will dry out the bearing, wd40 is a degreaser not a lubricant. Try a very thin oil like sewing machine oil & soak the area around the middle screw & leave it over night.

Alas, the deed is done! I used GT85 instead of WD40 and currently have it soaking around the top of the middle screw. I previously used sewing machine oil but this didn't release it. If I can get it apart at least I can buy new bearings. Now, should I get the ceramic ones....?

A very effective penetrating fluid is a 50/50 mix of atf (automatic transmission fluid) & acetone. It`ll work it`s way through heavy corrosion on machinery parts & should be helpful to you. Not the sort of stuff everybdy has but not difficult to get hold of - nail varnish remover & maybe you or a mate have an auto car?

Anthony,with Wd40 or similar you can probably just dose the area heavily(you can always use sewing m/c oil at the end to re oil the rollers) .If that does not work then a last resort you could try vinegar and soak it completly.I fear its one of those questions you have to ask yourself, do i want to chance ruining the reel or accept it as it is.I am not sure you can get ceramic bearings for your adcock(imperial size bearings i think) if you can and use it for trotting then yes, if you trot light floats then go higher on the Abec scale.I changed a Relum's seized bearings(looked like glue on the rollers) to abec7 recently and it starts up by blowing on the handle.My view is with top quality bearings i can always use my thumb to slow the spool others might think different.

Not really familiar with the construction of these reels but is it possible to undo the shaft from the back plate of the reel ? This may allow you to at least get the reel apart then you can work on/ replace the bearings more easily .

Anthony
I may be able to help you concerning the reel and taking it apart. You need a special key to undo the fixing on the back plate and I have just spoken with a friend of mine and he may still have one left after selling quite a few.
I will send you a pm.
Mike

Hi
I had the same problem a few years ago
What you could do is place something like cardboard or rubber over the backplate and very gently tap the pin / backplate the shock should separate the spool from the spindle, careful you don't drop the spool
It worked for me
Regards
Wayne

Back