• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin bearing

(Yes I know it's not a pin if it has ball races ;-) )

I've just bought hybrid ceramic bearings for first time.

Do I lubricate or not?

Do I remove the (non replaceable) seals or not?

On a Lewtham reel I try not to take the spool off often, so the inboard bearing can't get much attention. Mostly it just gets whatever GT85 gets through the outer bearing that I spray on after most trips. The outer gets a drop or two of sewing machine oil. This works well on unsealed steel bearings and they spin foreaver. If I don't do it; water and maize meal/sawdust from the maggots slows it down ( a bit).

(Yes I know it's not a pin if it has ball races ;-) )

I've just bought hybrid ceramic bearings for first time.

Do I lubricate or not?

Do I remove the (non replaceable) seals or not?

On a Lewtham reel I try not to take the spool off often, so the inboard bearing can't get much attention. Mostly it just gets whatever GT85 gets through the outer bearing that I spray on after most trips. The outer gets a drop or two of sewing machine oil. This works well on unsealed steel bearings and they spin foreaver. If I don't do it; water and maize meal/sawdust from the maggots slows it down ( a bit).
When I purchased hybrid ceramic bearings for my BJ pin, the supplier(reel bearings on EBay) if that’s allowed, no affiliation or financial interest with this company. I was told that the application of any oil would merely slow the reel and attract debris defeating the object of fitting them in the first place. The seals imo shouldn’t be removed for the same reason. Others may have a different take on this. I have fitted these from various sources on a number of reels and feel that an improvement is noticed.

When I purchased hybrid ceramic bearings for my BJ pin, the supplier(reel bearings on EBay) if that’s allowed, no affiliation or financial interest with this company. I was told that the application of any oil would merely slow the reel and attract debris defeating the object of fitting them in the first place. The seals imo shouldn’t be removed for the same reason. Others may have a different take on this. I have fitted these from various sources on a number of reels and feel that an improvement is noticed.
Thanks. Logical. I think that's how I put them in and see how it spins

...turns out they spin quite well.

First spin was 3 mins and a second. That's a bit better than an open-cage steel bearing I have in my other identical reel.

But jeez they're noisy. I'm going to use braid on a trotting reel for first time and I expect that running through twenty-odd rings on a float rod will only add to that audio experience!

Hi Adrian
Any bearing race with a fixed seal on both sides is an unserviceable bearing.
The seal keeps the lubricant in and the crap out.
Don’t dunk em and they’ll last a lifetime on a reel.

Back